This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhetrick19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I’m applying to vet school this cycle and feeling really anxious about it. This is my first time and I’m wanting some advice on my application. Right now I’m applying to Iowa (IS), kansas, colorado, and Illinois. I really love Kansas and am hoping for some insight particularly on my chances of being accepted there, but also in general.

Cumulative GPA: 3.6
Last 45 GPA: 3.6
Science GPA 3.5
I’m taking two summer classes that end in August, so it may boost my last 45 and culm. a tiny bit

Veterinary Experience:
- 1,900 hours at a small animal practice (paid)
- 200 hours of shadowing at a mixed practice
-10 hours of large animal shadowing
-4 hours with a zoo vet
-6 hours of assisting with whale stranding

Animal Experience:
- 300 hours of weekend boarding at my clinic (vet not present on weekends)
- 15 hours volunteering with horses
- 100 hours volunteering with cattle and goats
- I’m trying to volunteer at the zoo since wildlife medicine is my goal, however not sure if I’ll be able to because of covid

Research:
- 250 hours in south africa doing research on great white sharks, benthic cat sharks, and cetaceans

Extracurriculars & Community Service:
- Theatre/show choir/choir throughout high school and part of college (3000+ hours)
-I’m signed with a modeling and acting agency and have done some stuff there
-I was on hawaii five-o at one point
-I do a lot of hiking probably 3-4 days a week
-I’ve recently taken up photography
-traveling is my number one hobby
-speech club in high school

Honors & Awards:
- Dean’s and President’s list 4/6 semesters (I had a rough year this past year with a lot of deaths in the family. Mostly A’s with 3 B’s and one C in the two semesters)
-Dean’s scholarship
-graduated high school and will graduate college in 3 years

Other Work Experience:
- 500+ hours teaching swim lessons at the YMCA
- 500+ hours working at an elementary school teaching an after school program
- 2000 hours working at Dairy Queen
- Acting/modeling agency
-Chemistry tutor 100 hours

Volunteer:
- 30 hours of beach clean ups

Diversity:
- I am a military brat and moved around a ton as a kid (5 states, 15+ houses) and saw a lot of the world. Vet school would be my first time being at a school/same district for longer than 3 years

thank you all for your help. I would really appreciate some feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think overall you have a decent shot at the schools you listed. Your stats are right about average for most schools. CO is difficult to get into OOS just because of the sheer number of applicants. Kill your essays&LORs +/- any interviews. I know you love Kansas but if you can stay with your IS for tuition purposes unless you have military benefits that allow change to IS I strongly urge you to go to Iowa if you get in.

I think overall you have a decent shot at the schools you listed. Your stats are right about average for most schools. CO is difficult to get into OOS just because of the sheer number of applicants. Kill your essays&LORs +/- any interviews. I know you love Kansas but if you can stay with your IS for tuition purposes unless you have military benefits that allow change to IS I strongly urge you to go to Iowa if you get in.
Thankfully I do have military benefits that will cover up until 4th year :). I would definitely focus more on my in state if it wasn’t for that. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks so much!