WAMC: Lack volunteering and shadowing, but have 3.5 years experience in research and prehealth organizations plus extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nat620

Reaction score
Because my family was immunocompromised, my second semester during my 1st year - my first semester during my 3rd year were difficult for me to shadow or volunteer. During my 4th year and the precending summer, I focused on bringing my gpa up and my capstone research project, and in order to do well enough on those, I couldn't make time to volunteer or shadow either. I needed to focus on school at those times. Now I'm using my gap year (starting from the summer itself-- so these past few months) to shadow and volunteer. However, I've seen students on here with hundreds and thousands of hours in these activities, and I guess I wanted to know if my reasoning is alright / if it would make sense to reviewers and interviewers? I do have research experience for 3.5 years, a close relationship and LOR from my mentor/PI, and leadership experience in multiple organizations, pre-health and non-pre-health. I also have multiple other strong LORs and unique class experiences studying abroad and with dissection labs.

Thoughts?

Also in regards to mcat and gpa, mcat is average and gpa is on the lower end but I know colleges do accept this gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

You have given us no information about your application.
Please fill in this grid and tell us where you are in the process. We can only give you good advice if we have your information.
But, don’t count on ADCOMS ignoring your shortfalls when there are literally thousands of students that have complete and competitive applications.

Reactions: 1 user
You have given us no information about your application.
Please fill in this grid and tell us where you are in the process. We can only give you good advice if we have your information.
But, don’t count on ADCOMS ignoring your shortfalls when there are literally thousands of students that have complete and competitive applications.

Sorry about that, I'll fix my format and post a new thread! Sorry, I'm new on this platform, thank you for the tip!