WAMC low cgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pecan927

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I plan on applying for next cycle, but I am not sure if I should just wait for another year to gain more experience or what I can do to make my application stand out. My top choices are UCD (because in-state), KSU, CSU. I know those are super competitive, but I am looking at costs of tuition and living and need to be more selective :( if there are other schools I might have a better shot at, I will likely apply and take the L in loans. Suggestions here would be good as well. Please be as brutal as necessary ;s

Cumulative GPA: 3.0
science GPA: 3.92
last 45: 3.92

Any degrees achieved: BA in Spanish, psych minor

GRE results: not taken yet

Veterinary Experience:
- Vet Assistant at Small Animal practice (~500 hrs by time of application)
- Vet Tech Internship at Costa Rica (wildlife/exotic) - 80 hrs
- Vet tech/shadowing at South Africa (wildlife) - 120 hrs

Animal Experience:
- Rescue volunteer -> animal interaction, adoption coordination: 125 hrs
- Pet Sitter - 1000 hrs (Rover)

Research Experience:
- N/A

Extracurriculars:
- Hiking/backpacking/outdoor activities
- Dog training
- CNA license, unsure if relevant

Employment:
-
Customer Service Manager (1+ years, ongoing; worked during school, 1000+ hours)
- Online tutor - freshman year + earlier this year (600+ hours)
- Retail associate (REI) - 150 hours (during school)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had multiple acceptances with similar stats, and one of them was K-State! I think you have a decent chance as long as your essays and letters of recommendation are on point. I would also consider LSU, ISU, and UMN because they all focus on last 45 and science/prereq GPAs.

My stats are in the successful applicants c/o 2024 thread if you want more info. Don’t have time for a lengthy response at the moment :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I had multiple acceptances with similar stats, and one of them was K-State! I think you have a decent chance as long as your essays and letters of recommendation are on point. I would also consider LSU, ISU, and UMN because they all focus on last 45 and science/prereq GPAs.

My stats are in the successful applicants c/o 2024 thread if you want more info. Don’t have time for a lengthy response at the moment :)
Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into applying to those schools :)

Members don't see this ad :)
UCD doesnt look at your cumulative GPA for the first cut, so if get a good GRE score you have a good chance of making it to the interview round!

Reactions: 1 user
I was going to say the same thing as @LSVET
I'm in a similar boat to you with my last 45 and science GPA being far more competitive than my cGPA. Thankfully for us CA residents Davis doesn't care about cGPA at all! Good luck! I'm sure I'll see you around the C/O 2026 forums in the upcoming months

Reactions: 1 user