WAMC low gpa applicant// debating SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredochehe

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am adding my stats and ECs below. I have a good upward trend for GPA (struggled to keep up freshman year, and multiple family emergencies sophomore year led to a grade drop), however, I am aiming for MD schools and was wondering if I should consider doing an SMP or masters to fix my gpa.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA: 3.5 (3.4, 3.15, 3.62, 4.0). sGPA: 3.36 (including science research for credit) sGPA: 3.17 (without science research for credit)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. Planning to take it in August; FL scores are 512-516 range
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Georgia, US citizen
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Asian ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Public Ivy, T20, known for being rigorous
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Medical scribe at a hospital (~700 hours), volunteer at a non-profit free clinic (~350 hours), planning on working as a clinical research coordinator for gap year
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. ~2000 hours of experience, 3 posters and 1 conference. working on an undergraduate thesis with an independent project which will be published.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 120 hours (primary care, orthopedics, pediatric oncology)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 150 hours- volunteer at a facility that donates used medical equipment to those in need. i sort through donations and clean them
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. science lab TA for one year, research ambassador for my undergrad for 1.5 years, exec board for my major specific club on campus, work on special education inclusivity for a summer camp, public health summer internship
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Dean's list for multiple semesters, presidential undergraduate research award
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. I have good connections with my professors and think I can get great LOR, double minor
 
1) I would consider some more service orientation non-clinical volunteering. Reclaiming used medical equipment is a great non-clinical volunteering opportunity, but most schools want to see you in a humble role working on social needs of community members, such as food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Ideally you should have 150 hours before submitting your application.

2) SMP: what postbac or special masters program faculty have you talked to?
 
1) I would consider some more service orientation non-clinical volunteering. Reclaiming used medical equipment is a great non-clinical volunteering opportunity, but most schools want to see you in a humble role working on social needs of community members, such as food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Ideally you should have 150 hours before submitting your application.

2) SMP: what postbac or special masters program faculty have you talked to?
1) This makes sense! I will look more into this
2) I've looked into Medical College of GA and Mercer's programs! I am open to the idea of doing either, particularly MCG because it is one of my top choices, however I would like to avoid paying the cost of these programs if I have a shot at getting in without it!