WAMC - Low GPA, Non-Traditional Applicant, 3rd year applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingvet_loading

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a 29 year old female, my in-state school is Virginia-Maryland. This will be my 3rd time applying. Last year I got 1 interview, but not successful in receiving an interview for any other schools. I applied to about 6 schools this past year. Possibly looking to apply to 5-7 this cycle. I am a non-traditional applicant. I graduated undergrad in 2016. I have been retaking some courses for the last year.

Cumulative GPA: per VMCAS 3.07
science GPA: per VMCAS 2.32 (2.48 if you replace the grades I retook)
last 45: 2.9

Currently, I am retaking 2 courses at the moment, so my GPA's will increase at the end of August.

Any degrees achieved: BS in Biology (Preveterinary Medicine), Theatre, and Minor in Dance in 2016

GRE results: None, not interested in taking it.

Veterinary Experience & Animal Experience:
-over 12,000 hrs of Veterinary and Animal experience as a Vet Assistant for 2 years (during and after my undergrad) and Vet Technician for 5 years. Small Animal/Exotics/Pocket Pets/a little bit of avian. As a vet assistant, I worked at an Emergency Hospital as an ER assistant and Internal Medicine assistant.

Research Experience: None

Awards/scholarships:
-Honors Program at my undergrad
-Certificate of Merit for Costume Design from the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
-2012-2014 Loats Foundation Scholarship
-2014-2015 Leonard & Jane Schwab Theatre & Speech Scholarship
-Deans List 2011
-Theatre Scholarship
-FMBC Student Achievement Stipend from my church

Extracurriculars:
In Undergrad:

-Frostburg State University Theatre Program
-Frostburg Dance Company
-FSU Chapter of NCNW (National Council of Negro Woman) (original member of this chapter)
-FSU Student Alumni Ambassadors
-FSU Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC)
-FSU Pre Professional Medical Society
-FSU Lady B.U.G.S.
After Undergrad:
-Equinox Dance Company (Professional Dance Company in my community)
-Luna Aerial Dance and Performing Arts (I am a Dance/Aerial Instructor)

Employment:
-Vet Technician for 5 years
-Dance/Aerial Instructor for 1.5 years
-Vet Assistant for 2 years
-Barista at Starbucks for 2 years
-Sandwich Artist at Subway for 1 year
-Server/Prep Worker at a local Tearoom for 1 year

Basically, I am looking at schools that take a more holistic view of my application but even with everything else looking amazing, my GPA has been the issue. I applied to LMU Vet Biomedical Science Master program, but I have not received anything about an interview still. Last year I applied to LMU, VMCVM (in-state), Mississippi, Ross (interviewed, denied), Colorado, and SGU. This time I will be applying to VMCVM, Iowa, SGU, Wisconsin, LMU, Mississippi (depends on what my app. review looks like), and Western.

I had a weird undergrad career. I was a double major in 2 different majors and it was difficult managing both, especially with no help from my advisors. I am also a first-generation college graduate, so I pretty much did everything by myself. I also had to depend on myself financially in school. I did also deal with mental health issues that caused me to fail Organic Chemistry I lecture and lab. I did retake the course and got better grades the second time.

I know that my GPA is hindering my chances, but do you think I still have a chance at all? I am worried about spending more money on a Master's degree or continuing to retake science courses that may not even help my GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying the next cycle is probably not a good idea.

Your retake attempts have not shown that you've evaluated and rectified the issues that have caused poor grades to begin with. Any classes you retake would have to be As because you simply have too many credits under your belt to make things budge at all. Any attempts at a masters would have to be As as well for the same reason.

Take a year off from applying until you are positive you'd ace whatever you did academically. Likewise, if you are going for a masters, you will need to chose one that you would utilize if you were to never gain acceptance to vet school.

Reactions: 4 users
I would rethink your list if you do end up applying this year. Iowa State has a minimum science GPA requirement of 2.8 to even look at an application. They are also very GPA-heavy in their admissions process. Wisconsin is also a very competitive school too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would rethink your list if you do end up applying this year. Iowa State has a minimum science GPA requirement of 2.8 to even look at an application. They are also very GPA-heavy in their admissions process. Wisconsin is also a very competitive school too.
I’m aware of the requirements for Iowa. They only look at their specific science prerequisites for their science GPA which for me is 2.9 from what I calculated (and will be a 3.0 if I receive A’s in the 2 courses I am taking currently).

I’m aware of the requirements for Iowa. They only look at their specific science prerequisites for their science GPA which for me is 2.9 from what I calculated (and will be a 3.0 if I receive A’s in the 2 courses I am taking currently).
However, the rest of your application does not make up for being close to the cut off for the science GPA. Truly consider postponing applying this cycle so you can be set up with your best possible options.

Reactions: 2 users
If you can get your GPAs up to a 3.0, Michigan State might be your best bet. Once you meet the 3.0 cutoff, they don't consider GPA as part of the admissions equation anymore. They highly value diversity and accept many non-traditional students.

Reactions: 6 users
T
If you can get your GPAs up to a 3.0, Michigan State might be your best bet. Once you meet the 3.0 cutoff, they don't consider GPA as part of the admissions equation anymore. They highly value diversity and accept many non-traditional students.
thank you very much!

Reactions: 1 user