WAMC MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vrazzles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to apply MD or MD-PhD. I would like for basic science research to be an integral part of my career, and I wish to implement the bench to bedside approach. While I recognize that a PhD isn't necessary for this, I do think it would hone my skills as a scientist and would be something that I would enjoy greatly.

About me:
GPA (cGPA and sGPA): 3.95
Bachelors in Health Science with a minor in biology from a low ranked public regional university
MCAT 524 (130, 132, 131, 131)

Research:
~500 hours of research in reproductive physiology for my honors thesis. This data was presented as a poster at a national conference with me as first author. Thesis successfully defended. LoR from this PI. Should be very strong.
~3000 hours working in a neuroscience lab, with significant contributions to the progress of the research. Two third author papers in mid-impact journals (IF ~5) and a 6th author in a similar tier journal. Close relationship with PI (who is the chair of biomedical sciences department at a med school) and LoR should be very strong. This data was also presented at a "posters in the capitol event" with me as first author. I received $1200 in funding for a CRISPR based project and am now quite proficient in using this technology to create knockout models both in vitro and in vivo, with cas9-gRNA complexes being expressed under specific promoters in either transfected plasmids or intertstriatially injected lentiviral constructs.

Clinical experience:

volunteered for about 200 hours in VA nursing home before getting my cna certification and beginnng work in a rural nursing home. I did the latter for about 500-600 hours.

Non-clincial volunteering:

50 or so hours tutoring veterans in science

400 hours as a meals on wheels driver

300 hours tutoring first gen, minority, and/or low socioeconomic profile students.

currently six months into PC service where I teach advanced chemistry to 18-21 year old students. I was one of 3/59 volunteers to be selected to teach at this level. I train my students in HIV/AIDS biology so that they can go the village and disseminate this info. Also started a computer club and a student tutoring organization.

Honours:

deans list every semester, with heavy course loads. Aforementioned research grant award and multiple travel awards to present at conferences. Honors college attendance.

IA: possesson of marijuana

are my EC's gonna hold me back? how do MD-PhD programs weigh the quality of undergrad institutions and teaching in other cultures that are vastly different from America (I.e Peace Corps TZ). A major calculus in my decision to apply MD vs. MD-PhD is my awareness that MD-PhD tends to care more about school ranking and may not value my Peace Corps service. I'm also not sure if my research productivity makes me MSTP level material. With that said, my preference would be MD-PhD.

Also I am trilingual in Swahili, Russian and English. hobbies include running, reading, cooking, and hiking, and ping-pong.

I am interested in all MSTP programs and others that have a strong focus on cancer biology.

Edit: I was super sleep deprived when I wrote the last post. it's been cleaned up a bit. sorry about that. I apologize for any remaining mistakes, I'm making this post in between grading 315 exams

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to apply MD or MD-PhD. I would like for basic science research to be an integral part of my career, and I wish to implement the bench to bedside approach. While I recognize that a PhD isn't necessary for this, I do think it would hone my skills as a scientist and would be something that I would enjoy greatly.

About me:
GPA (cGPA and sGPA): 3.95
Bachelors in Health Science with a minor in biology from a low ranked public regional university
MCAT 524 (130, 132, 131, 131)

Research:
~500 hours of research in reproductive physiology for my honors thesis. This data was presented as a poster at a national conference with me as first author. Thesis successfully defended. LoR from this PI. Should be very strong.
~3000 hours working in a neuroscience lab, with significant contributions to the progress of the research. Two third author papers in mid-impact journals (IF ~5) and a 6th author in a similar tier journal. Close relationship with PI (who is the chair of biomedical sciences department at a med school) and LoR should be very strong. This data was also presented at a "posters in the capitol event" with me as first author. I received $1200 in funding for a CRISPR based project and am now quite proficient in using this technology to create knockout models both in vitro and in vivo, with cas9-gRNA complexes being expressed under specific promoters in either transfected plasmids and intertstriatially injected lentiviral constructs.

Clinical experience:

volunteered for about 200 hours in VA nursing home before getting my cna certification and beginnng work in a rural nursing home. I did the latter for about 500-600 hours.

Non-clincial volunteering:

50 or so hours tutoring veterans in science

400 hours as a meals on wheels driver

300 hours tutoring first gen, minority, and/or low socioeconomic profile students.

currently six months into PC service where I teach advanced chemistry to 18-21 year old students. I was one of 3/59 volunteers to be selected to teach at this level. I train my students in HIV/AIDS biology so that they can go the village and disseminate this info. Also started a computer club and a student tutoring organization.

Honours:

deans list every semester, with heavy course loads. Aforementioned research grant award and multiple travel awards to present at conferences. Honors college attendance.

IA: possesson of marijuana

are my EC's gonna hold me back? how do MD-PhD programs weigh the quality of undergrad institutions and teaching in other cultures that are vastly different from America (I.e Peace Corps TZ). A major calculus in my decision to apply MD vs. MD-PhD is my awareness that MD-PhD tends to care more about school ranking and may not value my Peace Corps service. I'm also not sure if my research productivity makes me MSTP level material. With that said, my preference would be MD-PhD.

Also I am trilingual in Swahili, Russian and English. hobbies include running, reading, cooking, and hiking, and ping-pong.

Edit: I was super sleep deprived when I wrote the last post. it's been cleaned up a bit. sorry about that. I apologize for any remaining mistakes, I'm making this post in between grading 315 exams
God I hate bumping. but bump

Go to physician scientist forum and read “What are my chances?”

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should have no problem getting in somewhere. I do think that reputation of undergraduate school does play a role however, with a strong GPA, MCAT score and research experiences, you will get in as long as you don't suck at interviewing/people skills.

Based on what I have seen in practice, most physicians tend to lean more clinically OR more research based. I find that it is RARE (not impossible) for someone to be BOTH an excellent researcher AND an excellent clinician.

If I were you, I would decide which you want to do more and then decide which path is better for you. If you like clinical work more, don't do the PhD. If you like research more, do the PhD. Remember, doing a PhD will add a MINIMUM of 4 years to your training. That's my 2 cents.

You should have no problem getting in somewhere. I do think that reputation of undergraduate school does play a role however, with a strong GPA, MCAT score and research experiences, you will get in as long as you don't suck at interviewing/people skills.

Based on what I have seen in practice, most physicians tend to lean more clinically OR more research based. I find that it is RARE (not impossible) for someone to be BOTH an excellent researcher AND an excellent clinician.

If I were you, I would decide which you want to do more and then decide which path is better for you. If you like clinical work more, don't do the PhD. If you like research more, do the PhD. Remember, doing a PhD will add a MINIMUM of 4 years to your training. That's my 2 cents.
Thank you for your response. I enjoy both greatly and have a hard choice ahead of me. Appreciate you!

Last edited: