WAMC (MD/PhD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boxturtle19

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE! ty

1. cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.95
2. 522: 132/129/129/132
3. not TX/CA/NY
4. White (side note: I am LGBTQ+, which I think is considered URM at some schools)
5. T20 undergrad school
6. Clinical: 250 hours in-patient hospice volunteer, 250 hours in a guardianship advocacy program (paired with a nursing home resident, went to doctors appts with her and attended care conferences)
7. Research: Currently working in a cancer bio lab full-time and will be until I'm accepted, total will be >4000 hours when adding undergrad research since freshman year in 2 (aquatic ecology, epidemiology) labs, 2 pubs and a few more submitting soon, 3 poster presentations
8. Shadowing: 80 hours spread among ortho, cardiothoracic surgery, internal med, and pediatrics
9. Non-clinical volunteering: 4 years Habitat for Humanity, 2 semesters teaching violence prevention curriculum in public middle school classrooms, 1 year at a food bank, 1 year crisis text counselor for the Trevor Project, just started as a math/science curriculum content creator at a org providing tutoring to low-income high schoolers
Other extracurricular activities: 4 years club sports in undergrad, club leadership positions in Habitat for Humanity and biology department, 1 year internship in Office of Sustainability and Student Energy Executive Board, recently joined youth leadership council at a local clinic to research and promote community health
11. Dean's list most semesters in undergrad
12. I have an IA from 2019 for self-plagiarism on an extra credit assignment and will disclose this.
Research Interests: epidemiology, environmental health, computational bio, genomics

Open to any suggestions for school list but would prefer not in a college town, regional preferences are Midwest and South
Also interested in anything I can do between know and applying next cycle (2022-23)

Members don't see this ad.

You have very nice stats and good ECs. Could you explain what exactly self plagiarism is and what you did. And please just tell us what state you are from. It makes it easier to help you develop appropriate school lists.

You have very nice stats and good ECs. Could you explain what exactly self plagiarism is and what you did. And please just tell us what state you are from. It makes it easier to help you develop appropriate school lists.
turned in a paper I had written in a previous study abroad class. Ohio

Members don't see this ad :)
So what happened to you? Is the IA really an IA? Is it on your transcript , what were the repercussions? I have absolutely no experience with this and have never known anyone who had this happen so I’m hoping people with experience or some of the great ADCOMS will weigh in. Good luck.

Lots of meds schools in IL. Only a couple in college towns. Same for WI schools. And Ohio has lots of med schools. They should be at the top of your list even if they are in college towns.

If you prefer a non college town in the mid west, Northwestern and Univ. of Chicago are reasonable shots for a hi stat person and I don’t think they have a strong in-state bias but you must check that.