WAMC- Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Remdrops

Reaction score
Hi there! This is going to be a bit of a long post, as I need some good advice on where to go next. This year will be my second cycle applying but I’m not sure if I should save the money and apply for a masters/post bacc OR apply to holistic approach schools or just go for Ross.

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.2 (pretty low as far as GPA’s go)- Received BS in Animal Science from Texas A&M
GRE : 152 verbal, 145 quantitative, 3.0 writing
Last 45: 2.9
Hours:
1000+ hours working with vet supervision working as veterinary receptionist at a GP.
About 850 hours working at a traveling vaccine clinic under vet supervision
250 hours working at a wildlife center with exotics as a keeper, with 5 ish hours of helping in exotic surgery
35 hours shadowing the large animal hospital at A&M
106 hours in pre vet society getting animal experience volunteering with large animals like hoofstock/alpacas
Did an independent research project as part of the curriculum back in freshman year of college, put in a good 30 hours

I also have done volunteering with catholic ministries, I was a student development officer for one of the oldest organizations on campus, I do music as a side gig and did marching/symphonic/jazz band. I went to Costa rica in my senior year in high school to do ecological field work, so I have other hobbies I can talk about. I’ve also held 2 other jobs not related to the vet field. I graduated in December of ‘21 and have been working full time since.

I think my hold up is definitely my gpa, especially my last 45 hours. Covid just came in and wrecked everything. My motivation, my time, had to completely switch from teaching and learning styles from in person to online and back again. I didn't know if the world was going to be the same again. I also had a family member pass away in my last semester and I was burnt out, depressed, and limping towards the finish line. What I am wondering is if I should go back to school to raise my GPA? I have no idea where to start looking or if I should do a post bacc or take individual classes again. Or am I wasting money doing that and should I apply to Caribbean schools such as ross where I might have a shot at getting in sooner and graduating faster? Do you guys have any suggestions on a good fit for someone like myself?

Sometimes I question how much these schools want from us. The world was actually falling apart and for some reason they expected us to just trudge on through and get a 4.0. you know? I'm not trying to discredit you if you did amazingly, all the more power to you. I'm just amazed at the expectations from these admission teams lol

Members don't see this ad.

I would do the file review first and see what part of the application you are lacking from the committee perspective if they offer one. You can always reach out to the admission and ask. If the grade is the reason putting you down, see what the file review says and try to start from there. If they said your undergrad grades all met their requirement, then I would say pursuing the master degree might be more advantage than retaking the classes. But if they said your undergrad grades is what they are concerning, then I would suggest retaking all the classes that you did not do well.
Lives is hard and always changes, sorry to hear your tough situation, but what the school looking for is how you overcome with these moments because you might face same situations once you become a veterinarian. I believe It is really hard to face with the loss of your closed ones, but you still have to finish you job professionally. So I would suggest change your set of mind to be more positive instead of complaining how the world making you down. Rejections are sad, but keep trying if you truly want to be a vet. There are so many successful stories here with low GPAs. So don’t be discouraged and improve your application as much as you can.

Last edited:
Your last 45 being lower than your cumulative GPA, in addition to being low, is problematic. Do file reviews with the schools you applied to and consider how they weigh retakes vs new courses (some schools average, some schools replace grades, and that makes a big difference in how much retaking a course helps you). I think your money this year will be better spent remediating your GPA to the best of your ability than applying again. Whether you do that remediation through retaking courses you did poorly in versus taking additional courses will depend what the schools you want to apply to do with repeated courses.

I think it's important to really take a good look at your study habits and understand how you learn, though, because a last 45 of 2.9 indicates that you're not studying effectively, and professional school will really push the limits of your studying capacity.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your last 45 being lower than your cumulative GPA, in addition to being low, is problematic. Do file reviews with the schools you applied to and consider how they weigh retakes vs new courses (some schools average, some schools replace grades, and that makes a big difference in how much retaking a course helps you). I think your money this year will be better spent remediating your GPA to the best of your ability than applying again. Whether you do that remediation through retaking courses you did poorly in versus taking additional courses will depend what the schools you want to apply to do with repeated courses.

I think it's important to really take a good look at your study habits and understand how you learn, though, because a last 45 of 2.9 indicates that you're not studying effectively, and professional school will really push the limits of your studying capacity.
I agree. I would advise against applying this cycle. However, I would either do a 1-2 year masters to boost your GPA or re-take classes.. or both ( I did this). I know the struggle too well, and I know that hard work will pay off. Ross can be very difficult too. I have friends who came in with low GPAS and excelled. I also know far too many people that have repeated 2 semesters ( which is essentially your first year) & also did vet prep. I had a few classes that I had a C in, and I still repeated them. I applied to schools like SDSU, UMN, and Iowa that did grade replacements. I also used the VMCAS GPA excel spreadsheet calculator. I calculated my GPA by each school using the calculator, and I think this really helped me.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless they’ve changed this in the last few years (which is possible), we average retakes, not replace, unless they’re some number of years apart from the original attempt.
Nope, they replace for the required course GPA!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I’m on the waitlist for two schools and I am currently Existential crisis and panic attack. My plan was to always become a veterinarian, so I never had a back up plan. It was all I have ever wanted to do, but what If I am not fortunate enough to get pulled from either waitlist. What then? Do I reapply for a third time and hope that I will be selected? For reference I have a 3.55 gpa, 3.67 last 48 hour gpa, 3000+ shadowing hours, worked at vet offices ranging from small animal to live stock for 9 years, actively helping with rescuing and rehoming animals, and even did an internship at a local animal sanctuary….. I don’t know what else I can do to improve my application when applicants with 3.8 GPAs are being rejected too. I am currently a vet tech, but vet techs barely make $17 which isn’t livable. Do I chose a different career path? Someone please give me some guidance as to what to do in the event that I’m not accepted. Please help me

Hello, I’m on the waitlist for two schools and I am currently Existential crisis and panic attack. My plan was to always become a veterinarian, so I never had a back up plan. It was all I have ever wanted to do, but what If I am not fortunate enough to get pulled from either waitlist. What then? Do I reapply for a third time and hope that I will be selected? For reference I have a 3.55 gpa, 3.67 last 48 hour gpa, 3000+ shadowing hours, worked at vet offices ranging from small animal to live stock for 9 years, actively helping with rescuing and rehoming animals, and even did an internship at a local animal sanctuary….. I don’t know what else I can do to improve my application when applicants with 3.8 GPAs are being rejected too. I am currently a vet tech, but vet techs barely make $17 which isn’t livable. Do I chose a different career path? Someone please give me some guidance as to what to do in the event that I’m not accepted. Please help me
Please make your own post in WAMC

Reactions: 1 users
I feel your pain. There is a reason why there are several parts to the application. Most people have the GPA and experience. It usually comes down to the writing and interview. This is my 2nd go around and #5 on my IS list. I am frustrated, disappointed, and sad that all of my work hasn't "paid" off yet. Keep trying!

I’m gonna give you some tough love because I feel like you need it. I hope this doesn’t offend you as I’m trying to be constructive. Your stats aren’t damning. I’m getting the impression that it may be the way you come across to adcoms. Did you interview at any schools? I’ve seen that you spammed this post in a few threads, a few of which had nothing to do with your question (including this one?). I understand this is a really stressful time for you, but even your online presence does not make you seem like a confident, well put together individual. I’ve also seen you borderline slander Ross on that thread. Everyone is allowed to have opinions about anything. But a big part of being professional is giving constructive criticism rather than emotional angry insults. Again, this does not make you seem like a professional, level headed person. I would reflect on all of this, and think if you can see this in your essays and interviews. Being a vet is incredibly stressful, and these actions are how you’re showing those around you how you handle stress (non constructively). I agree with the advice you’ve gotten on other threads, that having a back up plan would be good at this point. Again, this isn’t meant to be mean, it’s just the impression I’ve gotten.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I don't want this to become a pile-on, because I think you really do deserve dedicated feedback and help with the application, but I agree with the above. It says a lot that you chose to post WAMC comments in other people's threads instead of making your own. Everybody works extremely hard just to meet the requirements to apply and SDN is for supporting each other in the process. It's not fair to ask that people repeatedly reassure you and it's not fair to hijack someone else's post to get feedback instead of them. Adcoms can see SDN posts and may be able to figure out who you are, so the way you post can potentially influence your application.

Reactions: 3 users