WAMC - Non trad, high academics, low hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: 6/18, verified 7/1
Overall GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA-540 (27), TS-570, RC-530, QR-490, PAT-550 (25).
State of Residence: Maryland currently (from Michigan, went to undergrad in North Carolina)

Major: Mechanical Engineering
Minor: -
Minority? No - white female
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes - previously engineer/consultant

Shadowing Experience: Hours 105 hours with various general dentist (60 hours at one office, 45 at various offices). 175 hours as a part time dental assistant
Volunteering Experience: Recent (within last 9 months): 45 hrs with foodbank, 8 hours other. From 2017-2020 when in undergrad: 30 hours with homeless shelter, 15 hours random, 80 hours advising first year students (not sure if this counts or is an extracurricular)
Employment: 8,000 hours as a consultant; 500 hours as an engineer (internship); 400 hours as a TA during undergrad; 175 hours as a part time dental assistant.
Research: No
Other Extracurriculars: Club president, women in business club, women in STEM group
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? n/a - went to one virtual UNC admissions event & harvard admissions event
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list
LOR type and strength: Anatomy & Physiology prof (had 2 semesters, should be OK); Orgo 2 prof (should be strong); MechE professor (should be very strong), dentist (strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Volunteer hours are not extensive! Also, I am continuing with my consulting job rather than working as a DA this year due to the BBB to save more $$. I also technically only have AP credit for general bio, but all the schools I applied to I confirmed that my upper level bio courses + AP credit satisfy their requirements.
School list:
UNC
Michigan
Harvard
Maryland
Marquette
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

You are a nontrad predental applicant, so I'm not worried about research or having a ton of volunteering hours. Certainly do what you can for community service and more clinical as you can.

While I think you have a good chance at all the schools you have listed, you should consider adding the following:
VCU (generally OOS-friendly)
Pittsburgh/Temple/Penn (they're close enough to Maryland, check for Maryland enrollees in DSE)
Ohio State/CWRU
Louisville/Kentucky
Detroit Mercy

Not sure about Harvard unless you have a strong urge to specialize (same thing with Penn). But you did attend an info session, so perhaps there's something that interests you with them.
 
Welcome to the forums.

You are a nontrad predental applicant, so I'm not worried about research or having a ton of volunteering hours. Certainly do what you can for community service and more clinical as you can.

While I think you have a good chance at all the schools you have listed, you should consider adding the following:
VCU (generally OOS-friendly)
Pittsburgh/Temple/Penn (they're close enough to Maryland, check for Maryland enrollees in DSE)
Ohio State/CWRU
Louisville/Kentucky
Detroit Mercy

Not sure about Harvard unless you have a strong urge to specialize (same thing with Penn). But you did attend an info session, so perhaps there's something that interests you with them.
as much as i hate to disagree with msmiles, i don't think OP needs to apply to UDM
agree with the other recommendations, though...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VCU (generally OOS-friendly)
Pittsburgh/Temple/Penn (they're close enough to Maryland, check for Maryland enrollees in DSE)
Ohio State/CWRU
Louisville/Kentucky
Thank you! I really appreciate this extra list. I am still waiting for a reply from VCU & Pitt on if the credits I have will count (may be too old, I took some courses in 2017 & I technically don't have 2 "general" bio courses). I was looking at Louisville but I went to a session and they made it seem like it's not possible to get in state tuition after a year so it seems quite expensive (I know Harvard also is expensive but I am more hopeful that they would have some sort of aid).