WAMC Non trad URM, Female, 506 MCAT, cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintydaisy13!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background info:

-29 year non-trad

- Southern California resident

- undergrad at top 20 university on the west coast

- URM (black/Mexican)

- lots of clinical experience *medical assistant, volunteer*

-finished a post bacc to do my prerequisites ( I was a psych major and finished my program Fall 2021)

cGPA: 3.86 and sGPA 3.9

MCAT: Got a 506 :/ I am not that unhappy with this since I was just not clicking well with this exam. I contemplate retaking this but I feel burnt out and I just want to be with friends and family.

EC:

-3.5 years medical assistant in a busy office. Have both admin experience and patient experience. --> several thousand (maybe 6000+ hours)

-4 year hospital volunteer for several departments and won some awards for top volunteer (ED, OBGYN, Cardiac Telemetry). Tons of clinical experiences here as I was essentially a CNA --> around 600 hours

-2 years in a leadership position for the biggest department in the hospital. Led trainings for hundreds of volunteers over the course of 2 years and also coordinated monthly volunteering for 40 volunteers. --> at least 300 hours

-0 non clinical. -> I'm contemplating getting a non medical job to acquire other skills and volunteering on the side.

-2017 shadowed IM doctor 40 hours

-2019 shadowed peds (boss) 10 hours

- 2022- 8 hours so far shadowing. planning on doing more

- Did 2 research labs for a couple semesters (not a huge fan of research)-> both pscyh related

-1 semester health policy internship at Dept. of Public Health Chronic Disease department -> had a poster presentation of original research and led a meeting with several local health clinics.

- Currently part-time remote English tutor to professionals in East Asia. - 76ish hours but likely to increase

- Hobbies: Plants, drawing, reading, yoga novice

I was planning to initially apply this year but the MCAT was a bit too much for me so I decided to wait. I do know I have a committee letter from my program and I can request an additional 2 Dr letters, a professor letter, and a volunteer letter

Would love y'alls input! Thanks again :)

@Goro @Faha Your help would be wonderful and was recommended. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you fluent in Spanish ?
I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Miami
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Dartmouth
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Einstein
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Emory

Have you attended webinars/meetings/events or been mentored by any affinity organization like SNMA or LMSA?

I can't speak for all faculty or selection processes, but your public health internship and project can address non clinical "community service", so I leave it for other experts to comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Miami
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Dartmouth
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Einstein
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Hello, thank you for the response! Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Spanish but I'm trying to learn it. I also plan on living in a Spanish-speaking country for a couple of months within the next year.

Have you attended webinars/meetings/events or been mentored by any affinity organization like SNMA or LMSA?

I can't speak for all faculty or selection processes, but your public health internship and project can address non clinical "community service", so I leave it for other experts to comment.
I haven't heard of SNMA, but I've heard of LMSA. I will look into this too. Thank you for your response!

Reactions: 1 user
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Miami
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Dartmouth
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Einstein
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Emory
To Faha's list, add:
IU
U WV
NYU.LI
Wake
EVMS
VCU

To Faha's list, add:
IU
U WV
NYU.LI
Wake
EVMS
VCU
Thank you Goro! Question for you, why do you think I shouldn't retake my MCAT? I was hoping to apply to some top 20s but I feel like I have no chance if I don't improve my MCAT.

Thank you Goro! Question for you, why do you think I shouldn't retake my MCAT? I was hoping to apply to some top 20s but I feel like I have no chance if I don't improve my MCAT.
I think that you can go far with the score that you have. Also people tend to not improve their scores vastly upon a retake. It's more common that they will stay at the same level, go down, or maybe go up one or two points

I think that you can go far with the score that you have. Also people tend to not improve their scores vastly upon a retake. It's more common that they will stay at the same level, go down, or maybe go up one or two points
Thank you for that feedback. I am going to keep my score. Thank you again for your school list! It helps so much!

Reactions: 1 user