WAMC? Non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corpsman_up

Colorado SDM 2026
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wanting to get everyone's opinion on my chances. I know my GPA is low, but I have a very strong upward trend and years of firsthand military dental experience.
I plan on applying to these schools:
MUSC
Colorado
Michigan
Tennessee
Lousiville
Florida
LECOM
NOVA
Roseman
Creighton
Iowa
Nebraska
Kentucky
Meharry
Any help or advice is appreciated!

Date of submission: Will submit at start of cycle.
Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA of 20, all sections above 18.
State of Residence: Colorado.

Major: Non-Science
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes (military)

Shadowing Experience: 250+ hours
Volunteering Experience: 250+ hours
Employment: 6 years in military dentistry
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Military, various leadership position both inside and outside of military.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Various military awards, deans list, and honor roll.
LOR type and strength: Several doctor LOR, 2 Science LOR.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Failed bio 1 and Anatomy 1 right out of military. Have retaken and gotten an A in those classes. Poor GPA first year, but maintained over a 3.7+ GPA since then. Heavy semesters, all at a minimum 16 credits, some 18.

Members don't see this ad.

Was wanting to get everyone's opinion on my chances. I know my GPA is low, but I have a very strong upward trend and years of firsthand military dental experience.
I plan on applying to these schools:
MUSC
Colorado
Michigan
Tennessee
Lousiville
Florida
LECOM
NOVA
Roseman
Creighton
Iowa
Nebraska
Kentucky
Meharry
Any help or advice is appreciated!

Date of submission: Will submit at start of cycle.
Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.2
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.4
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA of 20, all sections above 18.
State of Residence: Colorado.

Major: Non-Science
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes (military)

Shadowing Experience: 250+ hours
Volunteering Experience: 250+ hours
Employment: 6 years in military dentistry
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Military, various leadership position both inside and outside of military.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Various military awards, deans list, and honor roll.
LOR type and strength: Several doctor LOR, 2 Science LOR.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Failed bio 1 and Anatomy 1 right out of military. Have retaken and gotten an A in those classes. Poor GPA first year, but maintained over a 3.7+ GPA since then. Heavy semesters, all at a minimum 16 credits, some 18.
thank you for your service

are you URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, appreciate that. And no, I'm not.
skip meharry
hbcu take mostly minorities

your list is too heavy on public schools
UF takes very few OOS students, and when they do, they are generally very high stats

you should, of course, do everything you can to get into colorado
have you been keeping in touch with students and staff at the school? participate in predental events there?

skip meharry
hbcu take mostly minorities

your list is too heavy on public schools
UF takes very few OOS students, and when they do, they are generally very high stats

you should, of course, do everything you can to get into colorado
have you been keeping in touch with students and staff at the school? participate in predental events there?
Good to know, thanks.

I can actually be considered in state for UF, as my wife is still active duty and her residency is FL. FL grants in-state for spouses of FL residents. In general, do you think private schools would be more accepting of my stats?

Colorado is definitely high up on my list. I know several students and graduates of the program, and have participated in some meet and greets as well as a predental event last year pre-covid.

Good to know, thanks.

I can actually be considered in state for UF, as my wife is still active duty and her residency is FL. FL grants in-state for spouses of FL residents. In general, do you think private schools would be more accepting of my stats?

Colorado is definitely high up on my list. I know several students and graduates of the program, and have participated in some meet and greets as well as a predental event last year pre-covid.
the adea explorer has stats for all the dental schools, there are print and online copies available...

good luck this cycle...