WAMC one more year until I apply, what can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego253

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing, including primary care. You do not need a MCAT of 517 to receive a medical schools acceptance.
A score of 500 is competitive for some DO schools and 508 for some MD schools.

1) Do well on the MCAT - this is priority #1
2) Get more clinical experience/shadowing
3) Try to get some science/medicine based research - you seem to be doing that with the clinical research assistant position, so that's great

1+2 are the most important by far. Otherwise you're looking pretty solid.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing, including primary care. You do not need a MCAT of 517 to receive a medical schools acceptance.
A score of 500 is competitive for some DO schools and 508 for some MD schools.
Thank you Faha! Do you think if I got a 517, I would be competitive for the UCs and other top 30 schools, given that I go to a low-ranked school and am a non-science major? I am taking some upper div science classes to prove that I can handle the rigor.

1) Do well on the MCAT - this is priority #1
2) Get more clinical experience/shadowing
3) Try to get some science/medicine based research - you seem to be doing that with the clinical research assistant position, so that's great

1+2 are the most important by far. Otherwise you're looking pretty solid.
thank you for the response! I am in a upper div science class right now (it started last week) and want to join the professors lab (science research). When would you advise I email him about a lab position? I would like to start in the fall so should I email him after the class ends or during the summer?

thank you for the response! I am in a upper div science class right now (it started last week) and want to join the professors lab (science research). When would you advise I email him about a lab position? I would like to start in the fall so should I email him after the class ends or during the summer?

Well I think if you're looking to check the research box, your clinical research position for the summer should suffice. If you want to also do lab research, then email the professor before the fall semester begins.

Well I think if you're looking to check the research box, your clinical research position for the summer should suffice. If you want to also do lab research, then email the professor before the fall semester begins.
Yeah I want to do lab research as well, ill email the prof then thank you!

Thank you Faha! Do you think if I got a 517, I would be competitive for the UCs and other top 30 schools, given that I go to a low-ranked school and am a non-science major? I am taking some upper div science classes to prove that I can handle the rigor.
It is all speculation until you have an actual real MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
@21Rush12 @gyngyn @gonnif @Goro I would love to hear your opinions on my application so far. I am planning to apply next year, however, I would like the know what I should do more of and what I should prioritize. I am studying for the MCAT this summer and plan to take it in August/September. My dream schools would be any UC, or top 50.

I am a CA ORM that attends a low-tier UC and am a junior economics major. I have completed most of my prereqs with mostly As, few Bs and two C's (gen chem and stats). The stats class was from a high school cc class I took, I will retake it at my university. I have a 3.64 GPA but hoping to get it to 3.73 before I apply. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I'm planning to take it this summer and aiming for a 517+ (I know everyone says that but if I get less I'll take it again or go to business school first, the Asian avg is so high it's insane)

EC's (hours are by the time I graduate)
- non-science research (500 hours)
- Tutor (200 hrs)
- ochem TA (50 hrs)
- tennis instructor (400 hrs)
- clinical research assistant (will start this summer, hoping to get 500 hrs)
- Leadership in clubs (VP, fundraising chair)
- helped organize multiple fundraisers for major charities (nonclinical volunteering 250 hrs)
- hospital volunteer (did 60 hours then cut bc of COVID) will continue when I get back to school (250 hrs)
- marketing intern for a start-up non-profit (100 hrs)
- BRAINtern with Lenox hill hospital (50 hrs)
- intramural tennis (I played in some tournaments in CA) (70 hrs)
- orchestra ensemble (80hrs)
- I play a ton of online chess idk if that's worth talking about (800+ hrs)

I am starting my own research project (non-science) next year but other than that I have nothing else. I am planning to take a gap year (applying after I graduate next year). I've been trying to get into science research, but it's been hard since everything is online, now that fall is in-person I can email and ask around. I have about 15 virtual shadowing hours with Dr. Gray but idk if that will even count. I also have applied to some scribing jobs but haven't heard back. I am also planning to apply to a free clinic near me hopefully I can get 50 -100hrs there.

What else would y'all recommend I do to improve?
You should have service to others less fortunate than yourself. AND get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be nice if you really prepared "your journey" to medicine. How did you wind up at the university that you attend? What help did you receive to get into college? Did you gave to work to afford college? So far I only see your worries about your grades and experiences... your journey also matters to determine your fit and your potential for a career in health care.

Then network by finding similar students in med school with a similar journey..

You should have service to others less fortunate than yourself. AND get off campus and out of your comfort zone.
I recently became a crisis textline volunteer, I know its extremely common for premeds to have that but does that work for non-clinical volunteering? Everything clinical is either closed or theres too many premeds applying, the only thing I can think of is starting my own initiative to help the homeless population near me. I was already thinking about doing that and just need to figure out what to do exactly to help them. ny advice would be great thank you goro!!

I recently became a crisis textline volunteer, I know its extremely common for premeds to have that but does that work for non-clinical volunteering? Everything clinical is either closed or theres too many premeds applying, the only thing I can think of is starting my own initiative to help the homeless population near me. I was already thinking about doing that and just need to figure out what to do exactly to help them. ny advice would be great thank you goro!!
I count it as clinical, others may not.

Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering. Venues include food banks, Meals on Wheels, election poll working (normally done by seniors) and whatever your local houses of worship can suggest.

I count it as clinical, others may not.

Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering. Venues include food banks, Meals on Wheels, election poll working (normally done by seniors) and whatever your local houses of worship can suggest.
It's online and not in a hospital setting but I am talking to at-risk patients so I was confused as to how I should label it, but thank you for the insight! Yeah I'll want to work on my non clinical volunteering over the summer and beyond thank you!

To me it's non clinical volunteering since you are not directly supervised or trained by clinical physicians usually. It has become more common due to the pandemic. But I don't like to put too much weight on the hours. Unless you are constantly chatting, I worry that one needs to really rack up hundreds of hours to get my attention as a significant activity.