WAMC ORM, 3.99 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 520 MCAT with limited clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md_157

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hours volunteering at a nonprofit supporting kids who are underrepresented in higher education, 50 hours volunteering with community events at assisted living senior facility (have good stories and connections from this)
What are your responsibilities? These details matter.

You need another 50-100 hours to avoid the risk of getting screened out depending on what you do. To be as competitive as your metrics, you need 250 to 300 minimum hours of service orientation activity.

I was a 2x international science fair finalist in high school
You can mention this.

Lots of tutoring or teaching. Why not go for teaching or a research career?

I don't know what your mission fit is.

Is this referring to clinical service only, or just 50-100 more hours total of any kind of service? Would it be most beneficial to spend more time with the activities I am already doing or find a new one?
My response refers to your non-clinical community service hours and it is cumulative (post-high school). You claim 200 clinical experience hours and 100 shadowing, so you need to show quality in your secondaries/interviews.

I am a people person and I love science/medicine. With a career in medicine, I want to be as knowledgeable as possible (through research, service, and learning throughout my career) and use that knowledge to communicate with and advocate for my patients. A huge part of my research experiences entails improving patient-provider communication and ensuring patient-centered care, which has influenced me a lot.
These traits are essential for anyone in health care and for a teacher. Communication skills are also important for researchers.
TL/DR: You didn't answer my question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical exposure and research hours are fine but your non clinical volunteering hours are low. UNC admits few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add Einstein, Rochester, Ohio State.

Thank you, I will get more non-clinical volunteer hours this year. If I get 100 hours of volunteering through a SDOH group that calls low income patients with complex health issue to connect them to social and mental health services, should I put that as non-clinical? Will that be enough or should I try to get more?
That activity would be non clinical volunteering and should be an adequate number of hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, I will get more non-clinical volunteer hours this year. If I get 100 hours of volunteering through a SDOH group that calls low income patients with complex health issue to connect them to social and mental health services, should I put that as non-clinical? Will that be enough or should I try to get more?
Why can't you continue with what you were doing for another 100 hours?