WAMC ORM, early grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcdeltat

Reaction score
Should I Apply 2nd year (graduating in 3)

I’m currently going into my second year of undergrad, but I’m graduating in 3. I struggled a bit early on (B’s in all my first year sciences, A’s in all my labs and all other courses). My projected stats for time of application are as follows:
3.7cGPA, 3.6sGPA psychology major
ORM, FAP recipient, from a rural area

-500 hours clinical volunteering (outpatient psych)
-200 hours non clinical volunteering (RMHC) at my schools affiliated hospital
-100 hours volunteering at my schools office of admissions
-Leadership position for global medical brigades
-120 Hours research in cognitive ecology with acknowledgement in publication (pending)
-100 hours volunteering in a local advocacy group
-100 shadowing hours (OB-Gyn, Inpatient psych, rural family medicine, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery)
-started a car detailing business in high school and continued it through undergrad (~800 hours)
-worked part time at a local restaurant to help my parents pay off my loans (~300 hours)
Plan to take the MCAT this fall, I’ve been averaging ~515 on TPR practice exams, moving to AAMC and UWorld soon
My narrative is centered around being part of a multicultural adoption, and meeting my biological mother (who has a mental illness) and being inspired to serve people who have struggled like she did.

I plan to get involved at another lab this year, I took orgo over this summer and ended up with a B+ in orgo 1 and expect an A in orgo 2.

Should I apply this year, or take another year (at most I could end up with a 3.8cgpa and 3.7sgpa)

Members don't see this ad.

Is your goal to be involved in rural health? Can you be more specific what you are doing in that front?

Obviously an MCAT score matters once we get something official. State of residence and clinical experience with rural communities matters. I would not rule out DO since so many are located in rural areas. I would check out HPSP or NHSC.

Without a MCAT score it is not possible to advise you about when to apply or which schools to apply to . Post your MCAT score here when available.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a lot of volunteering, both clinical and non clinical.
I hope you don't mind me asking OP, what state are you in?

Is your goal to be involved in rural health? Can you be more specific what you are doing in that front?

Obviously an MCAT score matters once we get something official. State of residence and clinical experience with rural communities matters. I would not rule out DO since so many are located in rural areas. I would check out HPSP or NHSC.

Rural health isn’t a huge interest of mine. I’m pretty set on going to an MD school.

As someone who wrote his PS largely based on the struggles I had with my mentally ill family member, I understand your motivation.
Just curious, do you have an interest in psychiatry?

Reactions: 1 user
Without a MCAT score it is not possible to advise you about when to apply or which schools to apply to . Post your MCAT score here when available.
As someone who wrote his PS largely based on the struggles I had with my mentally ill family member, I understand your motivation.
Just curious, do you have an interest in psychiatry?
Psychiatry and neurosurgery are my primary interests. I really fell in love with neuroscience during a few neuro classes I took last year. Just different ways of looking at the brain IMO