WAMC - Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robert_Frost

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the mcat and my score was as follows: 128/124/127/128 (507 overall).
I have a BCPM GPA of 3.86 and a AO GPA of 3.96 (3.90 overall).

I want to know if I should retake the MCAT because of the low CARS score (124) or if I am okay where I am at.

No research experience, but other than that I am a typical applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

A 507 will exclude you from alot of schools, but I think you will still get in somewhere. I've always heard that adcoms give the most slack to CARS. Just check the MSAR to see which schools have bottom 10th percentile MCAT scores below yours (as well as the bottom tenth percentile for CARS) and use those and your state schools for your school list. You would be a great candidate for all DO schools. I think if you retake you will need to wait till next year to apply as you would not be getting your score back until 6-7 weeks at the earliest.

I say, apply as is now with a well crafted school list and if you don't get in, retake in April and reapply. Obviously this assumes that you have checked all your EC boxes.

Last edited:
A 507 will exclude you from alot of schools, but I think you will still get in somewhere. I've always heard that adcoms give the most slack to CARS. Just check the MSAR to see which schools have bottom 10th percentile MCAT scores below yours (as well as the bottom tenth percentile for CARS) and use those and your state schools for your school list. You would a great candidate for all DO schools. I think if you retake you will need to wait till next year to apply as you would not be getting your score back until 6-7 weeks at the earliest.

I say, apply as is now with a well crafted school list and if you don't get in, retake in April and reapply. Obviously this assumes that you have checked all your EC boxes.

Okay thank you, I really appreciate the feedback. Anyone else have an opinion? Looking for as much as possible.

Its kind of true, for a re-take you'll be pushing the submission deadlines for allopathic schools, and your score is good for osteopathic schools (which tend to have later submission deadlines). If you have in-state advantage with an allopathic school on your list, you have a reasonable shot at that. Good luck!

Its kind of true, for a re-take you'll be pushing the submission deadlines for allopathic schools, and your score is good for osteopathic schools (which tend to have later submission deadlines). If you have in-state advantage with an allopathic school on your list, you have a reasonable shot at that. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I'm only applying allopathic if that helps! I'm from Wisconsin so unfortunately my only instate is UW (which is fairly competitive, median MCAT of 512)