WAMC Reapplicant 3.81 sGPA/508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavbla

Reaction score
Hello all!

I applied to 28 schools with secondaries being sent back from July-September (which I regret). Moving forward I plan to prewrite my secondaries to avoid getting burnt out like I did this past cycle. I was hoping for a review of my app to get some advice on what else needs to be addressed. Thank you!
  1. cGPA: 3.92 and sGPA: 3.81
  2. MCAT score: 508 (127/127/127/127)
  3. State of residence: FL
  4. X
  5. Undergraduate institution: state school
  6. Clinical experience:
    • 190 hrs volunteer medical responder
    • 1500 hrs medical scribe
    • 350 hrs EMT
    • 1680 hrs medical assistant (current job > 1100 hrs since I submitted app)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • 150 hrs research assistant + poster presentation
    • 250 hrs research assistant
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • none
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • About 65 hrs through college club
  10. Other extracurricular activities
    • Cooking
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    • Dean’s and President’s list
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    • Recommendation letters:
      1. Doctor - currently work for as a MA
      2. Doctor - worked with as a scribe
      3. Medical responder supervisor
      4. Psychology professor - worked in his lab, did well in his class
      5. Chemistry professor - did well in her class
    • Schools I applied to this cycle (currently have received 7 rejections): FSU, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Miami, Uni Central Florida, USF, Wisconsin, Vermont, Central Michigan, Virginia Commonwealth, Wayne State, South Carolina, Uni of Florida, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kasas, Eastern VIrginia, Wright State, Toledo, Maryland, South Carolina, Tulane, Michigan, Indiana, Wake Forest, Louisville, UNC

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scribing takes care of some shadowing, but community service is missing or too few hours (65?).
I also completed about 350 hrs volunteering as a medical responder, but I agree I should try for more non-clinical volunteering hrs.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you received any interviews ?
0 interview invites, 1 waitlist for interview, 7 rejections so far. I'm hoping for an invite this month but at this point I know I need to focus on reapplying.

You have a ton of state schools on your list. Did you check to see how OOS friendly these schools are? Did you check to see if you fit their mission? Did you check to see what their 25%tile score is for the MCAT? Do you fit any/all of these parameters?

You do need shadowing. And your nonclinical volunteering is woefully low. I see you mentioned 350 hours as a medical responder when asked about nonclinical volunteering. You also listed 190 hours as a medical responder under clinical experience. That’s confusing to me. (Do you have 540 hours total? Why did you split it? Why is some clinical and some nonclinical. Etc.)

As @Mr.Smile12 said some of your scribing could be used for shadowing but separate it from the scribing, don’t double count it . You need around 50 hours with a good chunk shadowing a primary care doctor.

Don’t reapply until you figure out the shadowing and nonclinical volunteering. And work on a new school list.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
The letters of recommendation are also an issue. Most schools expect 2 science LORs and 1 non-science. You are missing 1 science LOR. There is not much to gain from having 3 employer letters, just use the best one out of that group.

Most of the schools you applied to were unfortunately donations as they would not consider you considering your combination of being out-of-state and where your MCAT score is. The lack of shadowing and non-clinical are the biggest issues as mentioned earlier by Mr.Smile12 and candbgirl. That is what likely kept you from getting II's at the Florida schools.

Reactions: 1 user
0 interview invites, 1 waitlist for interview, 7 rejections so far. I'm hoping for an invite this month but at this point I know I need to focus on reapplying.
Almost half the schools on your list are state public schools that admit very few non residents with a MCAT of 508 and no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools when you reapply:
Florida State
U Florida
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia