WAMC/School List: 1st App, Texas Resident, 4.0/515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rite1234

Wavin' Howdy 🤠
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA: 4.0/4.0
  2. Major: History
  3. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 515: (130/127/130/128)
  4. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Texas
  5. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  6. Undergraduate institution or category: Public university in Texas
  7. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    ~ 300 hours hospital volunteering by application (2 different hospitals, across long time) + Project another ~150 hours after application
7. Research experience and productivity: 200 hours across three different labs
Joining a clinical research lab next semester should add roughly 125 hours by application
Currently working on public health research project ~ 75 hours by application
History Poster for a class: ~ 30 hours
Projected History Thesis + presentation for next school year: ~ 200 hours
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
Virtual Shadowing: 220 hours during the pandemic
In person shadowing: 60 hours: Radiology, Orthopedic Surgery, ENT, Opthalmology
9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~ 200 hours food bank volunteering by application (At one place, long time)
Project another ~100 hours after application
10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
President of 1 org at university: ~200 hours
President of another org: ~100 hours
In a program at the local medical school near me. Working on a community service project with the underserved with a poster presentation at the end of the school year: ~ 150 hours
11. Relevant honors or awards: University honors list, Dean's list, various scholarships
12. School List: Plan to apply to TMDSAS, AMCAS, and AACOMAS

TMDSAS (All of them): UTMB, McGovern, Baylor, UTSW, Dell, A&M, UT San Antonio, Texas Tech, Texas Tech El Paso, UH, UT Tyler, UT RGV, SHSU, TCOM

AMCAS (Not really sure about this list, Might be too many public schools): Iowa, Cinncinati, Colorado, TCU, Arizona - Phoenix, Hofstra, Indiana, Vermont, West Virginia, Illinois, Ohio State, Rochester, SUNY Downstate, VCU, Hackensack

AACOMAS: UIWSOM, ATSU - KCOM, ATSU - SOMA, CCOM/MWU, DMU-COM, KCU-COM, PCOM, AZCOM/MWU, MU-COM, NYITCOM

Hi all, if you could give some advice regarding if I am competitive enough as a trad applicant (especially concerned about my hours) to apply for the upcoming cycle that would be greatly appreciated. I guess I would say that I am mostly trying to stay in Texas but want to apply broadly to maximize my chances. Also if you could take a look at my school list that would be greatly appreciated since that has been giving me a rough time because it seems like I have way too many public schools for AMCAS. I am also planning to get my EMT certification in Fall 2023 so that would be projected. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Virtual shadowing does not count and I would advise you to list just the in-person hours as those are sufficient enough.

OOS schools know that Texas applicants will stay in-state due to the lower tuition, so I would advise on only applying to TCU and perhaps Tulane on AMCAS. Applicants often have one category where they have several hundred hours over the course of their undergrad, which is not the case for you. However, you have covered all your bases. Projected hours do not typically count for much.

You do not need to fill out AACOMAS unless you feel strongly about including another in-state option in UIWSOM and want to submit to the others while you are at it. I would suggest Touro NV over AZCOM and CCOM since those 2 have very high tuition. SOMA has had major changes in the curriculum that students have complained strongly about.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good shot in-state though the lack of details limits my enthusiasm (I don't know what makes you someone I want to choose for an interview). How much recon have you done with TMDSAS on the schools on your list? I mean, "all of them" is fine, but you want to have a better idea of where you want to match and what they offer you that the others won't. How much networking have you done otherwise?

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good shot in-state though the lack of details limits my enthusiasm (I don't know what makes you someone I want to choose for an interview). How much recon have you done with TMDSAS on the schools on your list? I mean, "all of them" is fine, but you want to have a better idea of where you want to match and what they offer you that the others won't. How much networking have you done otherwise?
This is an important point. Thanks for getting to this. I definitely have considered schools and actually have a few connections to some of the TMDSAS schools. I just didn't put it in the original post cause I was trying to get a feel for where I was at.