WAMC/School list 3.4/501 URM heavy clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRatFink

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.48 sGPA: 3.63 with an upward trend Post bacc : 4.0 33 credit hours

MCAT score(s): 501-124/125/126/126

State of residence: North Carolina

Ethnicity and/or race: Puerto Rican male 28 years old, unable to speak spanish

Undergraduate institution: SEC public university, BSN

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1. I have been a registered nurse for the past six years, working in neurological ICU, surgical-trauma ICU, step-down ICU, telemetry, renal+pulmonary med surg, post op orthopedic floor. Around 14k+ hours of bedside experience. 2. I live with type one diabetes and have volunteered as a camp nurse for children with diabetes, where I educate them on how to live with their chronic disease and proper techniques to test blood glucose and administer insulin(not sure if this counts as clinical experience).

Research experience and productivity: Limited research during nursing school. 50 hours.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours of shadowing internal medicine DO that I work with, who is also providing letter of recommendation. 60 hours shadowing primary care DO. 16 with endo.

Non-clinical volunteering: I have coached youth lacrosse players for the last six years, and youth football for the last three years as well. Participate at homeless shelters during the holidays to assist feeding people. I have also been a volunteer firefighter for my town the last year.

Relevant honors or awards: no real academic achievement to mention.

Anything else not listed you think might be important: 6 LOR total- 1 DO, 1 MD I work with, 2 science professors, 1 from Chief of nursing from last hospital I worked at. Multiple nursing certifications such as CCRN, ACLS, PALS, NIH stroke certification.

I plan to apply to 20-30 schools(DO included). I know I am going to apply at all my in-state schools, but am curious to see where other people think I may have a chance to get accepted. I am interested in rural care as well
Rough draft of my school list:
MD
UNC
ECU
Wake Forest
Albany
Medical College Wisconsin
EVMS
Drexel

DO
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM-Auburn+Carolina+Virginia
PCOMs
LECOMs
KCU
LMU
WVSOM
NYITCOMs

I welcome all constructive criticism and feedback. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Most MD schools are unrealistic with your MCAT of 501. You could try ECU though. The fact that you do not speak Spanish will not help you at schools where there are large Hispanic communities. You are competitive for many DO schools and I suggest these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
WVSOM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM

I think you might be a great fit for ECU and Campbell, and I agree, I'm not sure how your MCAT may hurt you. But if you have been a volunteer firefighter for a year, that's going to help you a bit. The question is if you really can talk about taking the transition from your BSN training to make it valuable as an MD/DO.

Find LMSA chapters and talk to the student officers at the schools on your list.