WAMC/ School List/ 3.5 uGPA/ 3.4 sGPA/ 524 MCAT/ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmind28

Reaction score
Welp Here it is! Im finalizing all of my stats and looking to get some insight on what schools to apply to this cycle. I graduated last year and am 1 year into my gap year.

1. GPA: 3.5 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA
  2. MCAT 524
  3. CA resident (Bay Area)
  4. Race: White
  5. Undergrad: UCLA, (Molecular Biology)
  6. Clinical Experience
    1. Volunteering: ~200 hours in underserved Pediatric hospital, 100 hours at Kaiser hospital)
    2. Work: Medical Scribe currently with around ~900 hours, projected to have around 1800-2000 hours by next year. Extremely good relationship with the Dr. and stated he’ll write me a good LOR.
  7. Research experience and productivity: 40ish hours undergrad research about Duchenne Muscle Dystrophy, no pubs or anything to come out of it.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~40 hours shadowing orthopaedic surgeon, ~30 Hours Internal Medicine Physician, ~20 Hours Plastic Surgery. ~150 hours shadowing surgery rehab center
  9. Non-clinical volunteering : ~100 hours in various food banks, community clean ups, gardening events, ~25 hours pre health society clubs
  10. Other extracurricular activities: none that I can think of.
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    1. ORM
    2. No GPA trend, started high with a 3.8 and then went down to a 3.1,3.7,2.8,2.8,4.0). I also have around 2 or 3 retakes, and earned a A, B-, C+ in those retakes (all science courses) and have around 2/3 W’s from dropping those classes. Also have one D+ and C- on my transcript. I Honestly had extremely poor study habits and discipline which led me to procrastinate all the time during undergrad. Fixed this during my gap year and while prepping for the MCAT (took the MCAT last year in August)
      1. LOR:Because of my poor habits in undergrad, I didn’t make many meaningful connections and/or relationships. So I probably have one really good LOR and the rest are most likely average. I could get a good science LOR but from the CC I attended.
        1. I also have a LOR from the physical therapists I would assist in the surgery center.

School List:

LizzyM Score: 76.9
WARS: 72

Prefer MD, but would go DO route if necessary.

UCI
UCD
UCSD
Wayne State
University of Michigan
University of South Carolina
UCLA Drew
Albany
Virginia
Penn State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Stanford (Dream School reach)
Western Michigan
Mt. Sinai
Dartmouth
Brown
Oakland Beaumont
Iowa
Georgetown
Jefferson
Miami
Rosalind Franklin
Wake Forest
Einstein
USC-Keck
Howard
NYU
NOVA
Tulane
USF-Morsani
New York Medical College
St. Louis
UNLV Medical School
George Washington
Drexel
Creighton
SUNY Buffalo
University of Cincinnati
LECOM
DMUCOM
PCOM
NYITCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the schools on your list are unrealistic with your GPA. You also have some state public schools that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Howard mainly admits applicants from the African American community.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Cincinnati
Tulane
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Quinnipiac
California University
Kaiser
UCLA
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Add WESTERN and TUCOM-CA to your DO list.

Reactions: 1 user
We are limited to what you disclose here as opposed to what you wrote for your application. As I see it, your nonclinical community service shows limited service orientation. You say you had around 100 hours in various activities like food banks, community clean-ups, and gardening events, but you need to show more consistency serving others in need outside of a clinical setting and stretching beyond your comfort zone.

You also don't have any other important extracurricular activities while you were in school or during your gap year. So you weren't involved in any campus clubs or activities? Why should a school interview you?

Members don't see this ad :)
We are limited to what you disclose here as opposed to what you wrote for your application. As I see it, your nonclinical community service shows limited service orientation. You say you had around 100 hours in various activities like food banks, community clean-ups, and gardening events, but you need to show more consistency serving others in need outside of a clinical setting and stretching beyond your comfort zone.

You also don't have any other important extracurricular activities while you were in school or during your gap year. So you weren't involved in any campus clubs or activities? Why should a school interview you?
I must've had a massive brain fart while writing that. I have okay EC's. I was apart of the Pediatric Cancer club on campus where we held events at non-profit pediatric hospitals and entertained the children waiting for the ER, we had toy drive events, and ran hospital treasure hunts with children for toys. I was also in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society where I participated in info panels about blood cancer, and a sports medicine club.

I must've had a massive brain fart while writing that. I have okay EC's. I was apart of the Pediatric Cancer club on campus where we held events at non-profit pediatric hospitals and entertained the children waiting for the ER, we had toy drive events, and ran hospital treasure hunts with children for toys. I was also in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society where I participated in info panels about blood cancer, and a sports medicine club.
That's helpful to know, but fundraising does not show "service orientation" according to the AAMC competency definition. Do whatever you can to add more hours before applying.

Is there more than the Ped Cancer club?