WAMC/School List: 3.87cGPA, 3.88cGPA, 513 MCAT, 80 Schools Right Now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceJam430

Reaction score
"PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE"

Soooo I have like 80 schools on my list right now and while I'm okay to apply that much (cost is not an issue), I'm not sure if it's feasible to submit all my secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them. I prewrote the basic secondaries (diversity, adversity, etc.), but very very niche ones I'm still doing (although some I've done).

I'm hoping to get advice on which/how many schools I should apply to. Thanks in advance!

1. 3.87 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA, 513 MCAT
2. 513 (128/126/129/130)
3. California Resident
4. Asian American
5. Not sure what category it would be, but it's a <10 % acceptance school?
6. International Clinic Volunteer in Haiti (240 Hours), EMT (120 Hours), Nursing Assistant (220 Hours), Hospice CNA (472 Hours, Current Job), Hospice Volunteer (322 Hours, Currently still doing it)
7. Research from July 2019 to March 2020 (benchwork), got sent home due to pandemic, lab gave me a virtual mice-scoring project. Total of 670 hours
8. Only Virtual Shadowing Televisits in Internal Medicine (84 Hours)
9. Volunteered at Emergency Department (did things like restocking shelves, giving blankets, etc.) 134 Hours
10. Other Stuff Includes: Study Group Leader/Tutor (600 hours), Student Dining Worker (650 Hours), Cultural Dance Team member (1000 Hours)
11. Not Sure if This counts, but I graduated Summa Cum Laude?
12. I don't care about cost or where I go (pretty privileged)

Schools I have right now (Brace Yourself)
Albany
Albert Einstein
California University of Science and Medicine
Carle Illinois
Central Michigan University
Charles E. Schmidt at Florida Atlantic
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Cooper Rowan
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Florida International
Frank H. Netter Quinnipac
Geisinger
George Washington
Georgetown
Indiana State
Jacobs University of Buffalo
Kaiser
Keck/USC
Kirk at UNLV
Lewis Katz at Temple
Loyola University
Medical College Georgia Augusta
Medical College Wisconsin
Michigan State
New York Medical College
NYU Long Island
Nova Southeastern Allopathic
Ohio State
Oregon Health and Science
Penn State
Renaissance Stony Brook
Robert Larner University of Vermont
Rush
Rutgers New Jersey
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Saint Louis
Sidney Kimmel Thomas Jefferson
Spencer University of Utah
State University of New York Upstate
State University of New York Downstate
Tufts
Tulane
University of Alabama
University of Arizona Phoenix
University of Arizona Tuscon
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSD
UCSF
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Connecticut
University of Florida
University of Illinois
University of Iowa
University of Kansas
University of Maryland
University of Miami
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri Columbia
University of Missouri Kansas City
University of Nebraska
Unviersity of Nevada, Reno
University of North Dakota
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
University of Tennessee
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Wayne State
West Virginia
Western Michigan Stryker

I'm very concerned because my sister who had near perfect stats didn't get in last year. Again, I don't care where/cost (plus, my work place offered me a lot of time/flexibility for interviewing when I need to so that's not a problem either). I just want to know what my chances are, and perhaps some advice to get.

Members don't see this ad.

You have many state public schools on your list that admit very few non residents with no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools from your list:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Florida International
George Washington
Georgetown
Indiana State
Kaiser
Keck/USC
Lewis Katz at Temple
Loyola University
New York Medical College
NYU Long Island
Ohio State
Penn State
Rush
Saint Louis
Tufts
Tulane
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSD
UCSF
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Miami
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Western Michigan Stryker
You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
Hackensack

If you apply to this many schools, you won’t get in unless you have been writing essays well in advance.

Plus there are a lot of donations to schools that don’t take OOS students without sky high stats

Get MSAR and look at the stats for OOS students

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From Faha’s list, I would further remove:

Indiana
Keck
Loyola
Ohio State
Rush
UC Riverside (only apply if from the IE)
UCLA
UCSF
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh

Most of the above are out of range with your MCAT score and your lack of any non-clinical volunteering will hinder you at all schools, but especially service-oriented ones such as Loyola and Rush.

I didn't do clinical volunteering at the Emergency Department. It was just basic community service at a hospital
Also there was non-clinical volunteering abroad as well. For example, I was doing work at both a clinic and a nearby orphanage

You have many state public schools on your list that admit very few non residents with no connection to the state.
I suggest these schools from your list:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Florida International
George Washington
Georgetown
Indiana State
Kaiser
Keck/USC
Lewis Katz at Temple
Loyola University
New York Medical College
NYU Long Island
Ohio State
Penn State
Rush
Saint Louis
Tufts
Tulane
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSD
UCSF
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Miami
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Western Michigan Stryker
You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
Hackensack
Got it, I deleted most of the ones you said except for ones I took the casper for.

Also there was non-clinical volunteering abroad as well. For example, I was doing work at both a clinic and a nearby orphanage
The activities not in the USA won’t count for much. Many ADCOMS consider these types of trips as VOLUNTOURISM. The purpose of NONCLINICAL VOLUNTEERING is to provide services to those less fortunate than yourself-the unserved/underserved in your community. Applying without some nonclinical volunteering in the USA will impact your application at schools that value service.
Why don’t you have any in person shadowing? You need to find a primary care doc and get a few days of shadowing.

The activities not in the USA won’t count for much. Many ADCOMS consider these types of trips as VOLUNTOURISM. The purpose of NONCLINICAL VOLUNTEERING is to provide services to those less fortunate than yourself-the unserved/underserved in your community. Applying without some nonclinical volunteering in the USA will impact your application at schools that value service.
Why don’t you have any in person shadowing? You need to find a primary care doc and get a few days of shadowing.
I don't have in person shadowing because in college and afterward, every single doctor (40+ I emailed) said the same thing: all non-essential personnel, such as student shadowers, aren't allowed in the hospital. Teleshadowing was the only experience I could get, but it gave me valuable insight into the patient-physician relationship, and what's discussed in follow ups, check ups for chronic conditions, etc. My work schedule was inconsistent until now (complications of having Epilepsy for 3 jobs unfortunately), and every place in my community asked for set hours for a few months, which I can't determine without having a consistent schedule. I thankfully have that now and have reached out, but should I just say I'm going to do it? Even if I don't get hours for it I still want to do it regardless, so I don't mind not putting it on there. Apart from Loyola and Rush, what are other service heavy schools?

I don't have in person shadowing because in college and afterward, every single doctor (40+ I emailed) said the same thing: all non-essential personnel, such as student shadowers, aren't allowed in the hospital. Teleshadowing was the only experience I could get, but it gave me valuable insight into the patient-physician relationship, and what's discussed in follow ups, check ups for chronic conditions, etc. My work schedule was inconsistent until now (complications of having Epilepsy for 3 jobs unfortunately), and every place in my community asked for set hours for a few months, which I can't determine without having a consistent schedule. I thankfully have that now and have reached out, but should I just say I'm going to do it? Even if I don't get hours for it I still want to do it regardless, so I don't mind not putting it on there. Apart from Loyola and Rush, what are other service heavy schools?
Random person just scrolling through, but Tulane is very service heavy imo. Just throwing that out there haha