WAMC/School List: 518/4.0, low ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R2ski2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 4.0 – sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 518 (130/127/131/130)
State of residence: Wyoming
Ethnicity and/or race: ORM
Undergrad institution: state school, microbiology
Clinical experience: will have 100+ hours as a medical assistant (doesn't included projected FT work), ~100hrs hospital volunteer
Research experience: ~1000hrs, 2 2nd author pubs low-tier journal, 2 undergrad poster sessions
Shadowing experience: ~50hrs – a couple surgical subspecialties and family medicine
Non-clinical volunteering: ~100hrs ski patrolling, ~30hrs with senior buddy program
Other ECs: pre-med club president, SA for lab, rural health classes, lots of outdoor activities
Relevant honors/awards: tuition/honors scholarship
Anything else: 1st gen college student, somewhat rural hometown

School List: Wanting to keep it under 20 schools. I need advice on my "reach" schools and whether any of them are worth applying to, and whether I need to include the "fit" schools to have more "safeties" (I know that no such thing really exists, but you get the idea!)

Will definitely apply:
U. North Dakota SOM
University of Washington SOM (WWAMI)
OHSU
Larner COM at UVermont
U of Utah
U Colorado
UCLA (reach)
UCSF (reach)

"Reach" schools: is it even worth applying?
Brown
URochester
UMichigan
Boston
Einstein
UPittsburgh
Weill Cornell
Case Western Reserve
Harvard
Yale

"Fit" schools: which of these should I include?
Tufts
Dartmouth
Albany Medical College
Med College of Wisconsin
Sidney Kimmel Medical College Jefferson

Members don't see this ad.

You could include all your "Reach" schools and Tufts, Dartmouth and Jefferson from your "Fit" schools.
You could add these schools:
USF Morsani
Miami
Hofstra
Western Michigan
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Duke
Cincinnati

Members don't see this ad :)
You have limited non-clinical community service. Why is medicine your calling, and what do you see yourself doing in 10 years?
I know my non-clinical experiences are very limited. I'm hoping to start volunteering at the senior center soon, since I've found that this is a population I really enjoy working with. Is this a large enough deficiency in my application to consider applying next year instead?

I know my non-clinical experiences are very limited. I'm hoping to start volunteering at the senior center soon, since I've found that this is a population I really enjoy working with. Is this a large enough deficiency in my application to consider applying next year instead?
Get at least 100 to 150 hours banked before applying. The more hours the more you meet expectations of service-oriented schools. If you want to work in rural health, be mindful that your volunteering really addresses a non-medical social issue faced by the community.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @Mr.Smile12. First time I applied, I received very few interviews. Applied again with many more hours in community service & secured 9 interviews and multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user