WAMC/School List Advice | ORM 3.2 GPA 516 MCAT (MD Resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheTravelingSee

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 516 (127 / 128 / 130 / 131)
Grad GPA (MSN): 4.0
Volunteering (non-clinical): 400+
Leadership: 250+ (President/founder of award-winning service based club)
Research: 1500+ (multiple pubs & posters, one 1st author review paper)
Shadowing: 100 hrs
Clinical: 5000+ (EMT & RN)
Awards: Community Service Award (JHU), Research Award (JHU)

I'm a 27 y/o nontrad who is planning to apply this cycle. I majored in neurobio in undergrad with a uGPA of 3.1 upon graduation and a 2.9 sGPA. I didn't really apply myself during this period of my life and only really got things together later.

I became an EMT during COVID and have over 2400 hrs clinical experience from that. I eventually went to get my masters of science in nursing at Johns Hopkins where I am currently employed as a critical care RN at the hospital. I also work as a PRN RN at a child psych facility.

I want to apply broadly to both DO and low/mid tier MDs but am not sure which schools to select. I am an ORM originally from CA but am now a Maryland resident. I am thinking of applying to around 30 schools. For now I suppose my top DO choice would be Western University. My top MD choice would be University of Maryland Baltimore. I am also open to USUHS.
 
Last edited:
Previously,

Have you attended recruitment sessions with admissions professionals?
 
Previously,

Have you attended recruitment sessions with admissions professionals?
Not yet. Honestly not too sure where to start. I focused a lot of my time onto the MCAT and making sure I got everything done with research and volunteering
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should determine whether MD schools will value your clinical experience and mission alignment. That's why asking questions of admissions professionals, current students, and adcom faculty will be important to you. Metrics-wise you should include DO schools (and ask similar questions), but you never know with mission fit with the MD schools given a solid nursing background.
 
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Maryland
West Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
USUHS
Eastern Virginia
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
TCU
Creighton
Tulane
Ponce (St. Louis)
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Drexel
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
WVSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM
 
You should determine whether MD schools will value your clinical experience and mission alignment. That's why asking questions of admissions professionals, current students, and adcom faculty will be important to you. Metrics-wise you should include DO schools (and ask similar questions), but you never know with mission fit with the MD schools given a solid nursing background.
Okay. When reaching out to professionals, do I just tell them my situation as I've presented it here or simply ask for mission alignment and clinical experience value in general?
 
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Maryland
West Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
USUHS
Eastern Virginia
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
TCU
Creighton
Tulane
Ponce (St. Louis)
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Drexel
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM
WVSOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM
Thank you for the suggestions! This is exactly what I wanted to start looking into. Out of curiosity, how did you come upon formulating this list?