WAMC/school list help 2.827 uGPA, 3.962 gGPA (SMP), 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awfulpremed

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about my chances and had some questions about my application as a whole

Stats
  • ucGPA: 2.827
  • usGPA: 2.449
  • gGPA: 3.962 (Tulane microbiology and immunology 1 year masters program)
MCAT

Experiences
108 shadowing hours
~400 clinical hours (paid as a CNA)
~100 non-clinical hours (surgery waiting room, and tutoring kids in undergrad)

Residence
Washington state

Research
~300 hours in chemical engineering department in undergrad

Questions
1) My question is since my undergrad GPA was so low but my graduate GPA is high, is there a chance that I will be screened out because of my undergrad GPA? And if so, what should I do if this happens?

2) Should I be focusing more heavily on MD or DO schools? And what schools would I fit into with my stats?

3) Are any california schools within my reach? Trying to stay close to home state if possible

School list (so far)
MD schools
UW
WSU
Tulane
LSU
BU
OHSU (live near on border of washington/oregon)
MSU med

DO schools
Western (both campuses)
KCU-COM
ICOM
PCOM
PNWCOM
MSUCOM

Any addition to the school list or general advice is appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Both ofYour GPAs are really low for MD, especially your sGPA. If you had done a post bacc instead of a MS those grades would have been included in your uGPA for MD schools and it might have helped , But as it stands they won’t be. All of those grades will be combined for DO schools I think. Your MCAT is below average for MD but good for DO. So focus your attention on DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you will be screened out at many MD schools with your undergraduate GPAs. Graduate school grades help little for MD admissions but matter more for DO admissions.
For MD schools you could try Tulane, Washington State and U Washington. For DO schools apply broadly and I suggest these:
PNWU-COM
WCU-COM
ACOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM
Noorda-COM
LUCOM
BCOM
With your undergraduate GPAs you are at a disadvantage compared to applicants with a GPA above3.0. If no acceptances the year you apply you will need to do a post bacc and take enough undergraduate level courses to increase both your cGPA and sGPA to 3.0.

Reactions: 1 user