WAMC/School list help URM 508/3.73

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbaby3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am applying this cycle. I was verified last week and received my MCAT today. I pre-wrote secondaries for most schools, but I want to know if I should add or take away any schools. Thanks in advance!
I also only applied MD
  1. cGPA = 3.73 and sGPA=3.64
  2. MCAT score(s) = 492 (123/122/122/125)---> 508 (127/126/124/130)
  3. Florida resident
  4. URM Black woman
  5. Graduated from One of the top FL schools in 2022
  6. 1,000+ hours as a scribe, 2 years, COVID vaccine for about 75 hours,
  7. Research for 2 years (received letter of rec) ; issues with race in healthcare treatment about 300 hours
  8. Shadowed OBGYN and Derm
  9. Disability note take, mentor for other black students, and volunteer through my various clubs, currently volunteering at food pantry
  10. I was a resident assistant (RA) for 2 years, 1000+ hours. President of MAPS (minority association of pre-health students), on e-board of NCW
  11. Currently work as a substitute teacher for my gap year, going onto my second gap year. Already have 600 hours
  12. I filled out 14/15 activities.
  13. I was told my letters of rec were really good in my committee interview.
  14. My application is really geared towards mentorship and helping the underserved.
Current school list: All FL schools, all HBCUS and emory. What else should I add or take away? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro @Mr.Smile12 @Faha

I see you all have helped a lot of students. I am hoping if you are free and able to, could you look at mine. Thank you guys

I think the basic list you have with in-states and HBCU's is solid strategy, especially if you networked with other SNMA chapters with your MAPS involvement. Hopefully that networking can give you insight to other schools you could apply for.

I am missing what your mission fit is. I think you get 150+ hours of working with the food pantry, whatever concerns I might have about service orientation should be satisfied. What is the specific issue regarding health equity and racial disparities (helping the underserved) do you feel you want to pursue? Would it specifically be with Black communities? Latinx communities? Women/Female intersectional issues, etc.?

The elephant is also in the room if you are a Florida resident and seeing what is being done with education/higher ed in Florida. Where else would you feel most comfortable with your education?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the basic list you have with in-states and HBCU's is solid strategy, especially if you networked with other SNMA chapters with your MAPS involvement. Hopefully that networking can give you insight to other schools you could apply for.

I am missing what your mission fit is. I think you get 150+ hours of working with the food pantry, whatever concerns I might have about service orientation should be satisfied. What is the specific issue regarding health equity and racial disparities (helping the underserved) do you feel you want to pursue? Would it specifically be with Black communities? Latinx communities? Women/Female intersectional issues, etc.?

The elephant is also in the room if you are a Florida resident and seeing what is being done with education/higher ed in Florida. Where else would you feel most comfortable with your education?
I would like to stay on the East Coast, but I am open to anywhere on this coast. All of my extended family lives in NY, so I have visited about 3 times a year since I was 7. Does this constitute ties to the state? I would not mind moving up north if given the opportunity. Also, since I went to school in Miami, I worked/volunteered predominately in underserved areas with a high number of Hispanic and Black people. I talk about in my secondaries how, while helping with the COVID-19 vaccine, many did not speak English, and I used my limited Spanish to help. As a scribe as well, a lot of our patients did not have insurance or proper post op care, which I discussed as well.

You could add any of these schools with your geographical preference:
Tulane
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College