WAMC/School List Help: 3.83 cGPA /3.83 sGPA, URM, NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Art of Fugue

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Let me know what your actual score is when available and I will suggest schools. For a throwaway school pick some school such as Cooper since you know you will apply there since it is one of your state public schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: After reading through some of these WAMCs and speaking to a few people, I've been considering pulling my app until next year. I feel like my ECs are not nearly up to par at this time...

@chilly_md @Faha sorry to page again but if you could offer me a hand with some suggestions for gap year activities?

My research seems passable but a part-time (or full-time?) clinical gig along with some other activities is what I'm leaning towards.
Perhaps tutoring of some sort along with more work w/ the underserved?
I'm aware that my chances at T25 are highly contingent on how I score on my MCAT. But regardless of how I score, I'd guess that more activities could only help my case?

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: After reading through some of these WAMCs and speaking to a few people, I've been considering pulling my app until next year. I feel like my ECs are not nearly up to par at this time...

@chilly_md @Faha sorry to page again but if you could offer me a hand with some suggestions for gap year activities?

My research seems passable but a part-time (or full-time?) clinical gig along with some other activities is what I'm leaning towards.
Perhaps tutoring of some sort along with more work w/ the underserved?
I'm aware that my chances at T25 are highly contingent on how I score on my MCAT. But regardless of how I score, I'd guess that more activities could only help my case?
If you would feel best with a gap year, then you could scribe and do some volunteering to help the underserved. I would not do tutoring. Instead, go back to a food bank to gain additional hours (4 hours once a week would get you an additional 200 hours) or consider a similar area such as your local homeless shelter/soup kitchen. With a year, you could also work with foster youth or do Big Brothers Big Sisters.

Updates:
  • Received a 520 on the MCAT
  • Will be taking a gap year
Not sure where to go from here. I plan to scribe ~9-15 hrs a week and tutor on the side. I was considering finding a productive lab to do some (likely unpaid) research, and round out the rest of my time with a volunteer leadership opportunity.

What would help increase my competitiveness for T25?
Congratulations.

My suggestions (see previous suggestions above in this thread):
Set aside weekly time to non-clinical community service, but don't tutor unless become a certified substitute teacher. I think your clinical hours are still a bit light if you want a T25, but your non-clinical community service definitely needs a boost to get any shot. Shelter work with homeless, women/children, or LGBTQ+ would be very helpful. Shoot for at least 200 hours of community service.

See my previous suggestions earlier in the thread.

For a list, I suggest aiming high:

Cooper
Hackensack
Einstein
Hofstra
Northwestern
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers Robert Wood
Jefferson
USF Morsani
Indiana
University of Chicago
University of Virginia
University of Cincinnati
Emory
Kaiser
UCLA
UCSF
Pitt
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
Case Western
Baylor
UTSW (since Baylor is also TMDAS)
Columbia
Ohio State
Rochester
Penn
JHU
NYU
Michigan
WUSTL
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale

Updates:
  • Received a 520 on the MCAT
  • Will be taking a gap year
Not sure where to go from here. I plan to scribe ~9-15 hrs a week and tutor on the side. I was considering finding a productive lab to do some (likely unpaid) research, and round out the rest of my time with a volunteer leadership opportunity.

What would help increase my competitiveness for T25?
Scribing is all you need to add for clinical hours. There are only ~25 AA applicants per year that apply with a GPA above 3.6 and a MCAT of 518+.
That is only one per top 25 schools so you should receive many interviews.