WAMC/School List Help | 4.0/524

Started by jovialfly
Tags Tags
wamc md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

That non clinical volunteering...

Take out tutoring for 150 hours for children. Every premed does this so it's value is overrated and falls into its own category.

40 hours in a club you can't describe... is it a service fraternity? Over what length of time? This is not a lot.

So what activity does of your service orientation? You have the metrics so you need equally impressive demonstration of desired competencies and fit with institutional mission. I don't know what makes you someone schools would want.
 
That non clinical volunteering...

Take out tutoring for 150 hours for children. Every premed does this so it's value is overrated and falls into its own category.

40 hours in a club you can't describe... is it a service fraternity? Over what length of time? This is not a lot.

So what activity does of your service orientation? You have the metrics so you need equally impressive demonstration of desired competencies and fit with institutional mission. I don't know what makes you someone schools would want.

"Every premed does this" I am not entirely sure that is the case from my experience, but I'm sure it depends on what type of student. Just going to some random school with kids who don't want to be there is different than organizing an entire thing for people from many different schools, also recruiting tutors, and putting in 1-2 nights a week throughout the semester. Plus being an officer means I am far more than just a passive participant.

The club basically works to support the mostly-volunteer dependent clinic I volunteer at. So we do service projects and also collaborate with a community garden where the time the club puts in there yields fresh vegetables and the like which are given to patients, many of whom may otherwise not be able to afford it.

I know non-clinical might be the weak point, but I think I fall back on the relative length of my commitments and quality over quantity. I can pull a lot and talk a lot about those hours, at least in a way that I feel is meaningful. I recognize that is difficult to express in a forum post though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Washington takes almost no OOS students from non-WWAMI states. The other public schools similarly take few OOS students. Your clinical volunteering at a free clinic is good and shows you have worked with people who are less fortunate.

I suggest:

Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
ETSU
Duke
WashU
NYU
Penn
Columbia
Stanford
Yale
Harvard
UCLA
Michigan
Emory
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
UVA
BU
Tufts
Wisconsin
Colorado
Miami
Iowa
Einstein
Mayo
Dartmouth
Rochester