WAMC + School List Help (518/3.98)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

minionstuart

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm starting to think about applying and would love to hear peoples perspectives on my chances and also helping me with creating a school list. I've listed some information below and would appreciate the communities help on creating this list and analyzing my chances especially with my red flag.😁

MCAT: 518

cGPA: 3.98

Residence: OH

Ethnicity: Asian

School: Large Public University

Major/Minor: Engineering/Business

Clinical Hours: ~350 (Patient Care Associate at Hospital)

Volunteering:
  • Nonclinical: ~ 110 (Free Clinic Finance/Operations manager + Red Cross BDA), ~400 if u include overlap from leadership which idk if u can do.
  • Clinical: ~ 120 (Cancer hospital patient roundings)
Leadership: ~ 600 (Cofounder of Red Cross Club, and VP of Consulting Club)

Internships:

  • ~400 Engineering Intern on Campus 1y
  • ~600 Research + Pending 2nd author Publication ~2y
  • Incoming Consulting Intern at Strong Healthcare/Life Sciences Boutique for SU26
Shadowing: ~40 (ER Doctor)

Letter of Recommendations: 1 BME Prof, 1 Physics Prof, PI, 1 ER Dr., 1 Business Prof, not sure how strong each of them are going to be

RED FLAG: Academic Integrity Violation 1.5 years ago. During a Final, I went to use the restroom and came back. Prof asked where I went and I told her the restroom. She asked me whether I had my phone on me and I happened to have it in my pocket unknowingly. I was charged for possession of a device during the exam, but not for cheating as during the hearing I showed explicit screentime proof of not being on my phone. My punishment was the lowest, a A to A- grade reduction and a warning, with nothing on my transcript.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

Do you want to leverage your engineering background in medical school? If so, you have at least three universities to look into (Carle, Texas A&M EnMed, Arizona State). On the surface your app could be a good fit with them.

Aside from that, I don't see much service orientation, and your lack of detail about your activities concerns me about your actual desirability as an applicant. It's not a checklist based on hours. Unless you tell me what your club is about, I don't think double dipping helps you. Thus, your file is at risk of getting screened out unless there is more information.
 
Welcome to the forums.

Do you want to leverage your engineering background in medical school? If so, you have at least three universities to look into (Carle, Texas A&M EnMed, Arizona State). On the surface your app could be a good fit with them.

Aside from that, I don't see much service orientation, and your lack of detail about your activities concerns me about your actual desirability as an applicant. It's not a checklist based on hours. Unless you tell me what your club is about, I don't think double dipping helps you. Thus, your file is at risk of getting screened out unless there is more information.
Thanks for your feedback, the club I founded is the American Red Cross Club which is a service oriented club with ~100 active members. The other club I serve as VP for which is a Consulting Club for free consulting services for corporations (large & small clients).

I definitely would want to leverage my engineering/business background in my story and hopefully get into a MD/MBA program in the future, and will look into the schools u recommended.

I'm just starting to build my list and this is what I'm at rn, would u recommend any others outside of the ones uve listed and do you see any red flags currently? I'm aiming for ~30 schools to apply to: Stanford, UMich, Cornell, OSU, Case, Pitt, Dartmouth, UMiami, Cinci, NEOMED, UToledo, WrightState
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your feedback, the club I founded is the American Red Cross Club which is a service oriented club with ~100 active members. The other club I serve as VP for which is a Consulting Club for free consulting services for corporations (large & small clients).

I definitely would want to leverage my engineering/business background in my story and hopefully get into a MD/MBA program in the future, and will look into the schools u recommended.

I'm just starting to build my list and this is what I'm at rn, would u recommend any others outside of the ones uve listed and do you see any red flags currently? I'm aiming for ~30 schools to apply to: Stanford, UMich, Cornell, OSU, Case, Pitt, Dartmouth, UMiami, Cinci, NEOMED, UToledo, WrightState
You include UMiami which loves dual-degree folks with plans, so the better you can describe how you envision leveraging innovation opportunities, you might as well. Network with students at the schools you have on your list and ask about the experiences similar students to you are having.

So that said, I think if your Red Cross efforts describe more emergency-but-non-clinical work, that's great. IFRC Is featured in Becoming a Student Doctor for the work they do with community support, not just the blood drives. I would consider more work in the non-emergent social needs world such as housing, food distribution, and shelter support. Figure out how this integrates to your innovation ideas, and why patient care is required for you to fulfill this vision.

The Ohio regional schools (NEOMED, Wright State, UT) are very focused on their regional constituency, and your early clinical experiences may involve immersion in their needs. I would consider applying to OUHCOM, as it has translational research opportunites throughout the state (as I am aware of).
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
NEOMED
Wright State
Case Western
West Virginia
U Michigan
Pittsburgh
Carle Illinois
Arizona State School of Medicine and Engineering
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
UMass
Hofstra
Einstein (free tuition)
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU (free tuition)
Duke
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Mayo
 
You include UMiami which loves dual-degree folks with plans, so the better you can describe how you envision leveraging innovation opportunities, you might as well. Network with students at the schools you have on your list and ask about the experiences similar students to you are having.

So that said, I think if your Red Cross efforts describe more emergency-but-non-clinical work, that's great. IFRC Is featured in Becoming a Student Doctor for the work they do with community support, not just the blood drives. I would consider more work in the non-emergent social needs world such as housing, food distribution, and shelter support. Figure out how this integrates to your innovation ideas, and why patient care is required for you to fulfill this vision.

The Ohio regional schools (NEOMED, Wright State, UT) are very focused on their regional constituency, and your early clinical experiences may involve immersion in their needs. I would consider applying to OUHCOM, as it has translational research opportunites throughout the state (as I am aware of).
Hi thanks again for your feedback! I was wondering if you had more information regarding schools that like dual-degree students outside of UMiami that you'd recommend me look into. I'm curious to see your thoughts on my red flag and if theres anything you'd recommend with navigating around that topic. Thanks Mr.Smile12!
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Toledo
NEOMED
Wright State
Case Western
West Virginia
U Michigan
Pittsburgh
Carle Illinois
Arizona State School of Medicine and Engineering
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
UMass
Hofstra
Einstein (free tuition)
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU (free tuition)
Duke
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Mayo
Hi Faha and thanks for your recommendations! Do you think this school list is a little reach-heavy or is this an accurate balance between baseline/target/reach? Also what's your knowledge on ASU's new med school with engineering, do you anticipate there to be a strong program?
 
Hi thanks again for your feedback! I was wondering if you had more information regarding schools that like dual-degree students outside of UMiami that you'd recommend me look into. I'm curious to see your thoughts on my red flag and if theres anything you'd recommend with navigating around that topic. Thanks Mr.Smile12!
Have you rummaged through the MSAR and then individual program websites?

Everyone else has commented on the academic IA as a red/yellow flag. Work with the student conduct office to craft a precisely worded statement about your IA should it be requested of you.

I have posted all that we know so far of the new Arizona State program, thank to their marketing/comm team. I'm waiting to hear from their (experienced) director of admissions.