WAMC/School List Help for 517 Reapplicant MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis87

Reaction score
Hi all,
Please do not quote this message
I am looking to reapply to MD/PhD programs after an unsuccessful MD cycle this past year. I applied to 21 schools this past year and received two interviews, and was ultimately rejected from both post-II. I have recently started looking into MD/PhD programs and have realized that these programs are a much better fit for my career goals and interests, as well as my experiences. However, I am not sure exactly what schools to apply to as MSAR seems to be catered more towards regular MD applicants. Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Some more info on me:
  1. cGPA: 3.77 sGPA 3.85
  2. MCAT 517 (130/128/130/129)
  3. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): assisted living facility (125 hours), hospital CCU (25 hours) - both volunteer
  4. Research experience and productivity: 3 years undergrad, 3 years post grad, 3 publications (one is first author), second author on 2 presentations at a national conference (all basic science)
  5. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 20 hours cardiology
  6. Non-clinical volunteering: 20 hours food pantry
  7. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): varsity athletics, tutoring, TA
School List so Far:
Miami
Colorado
Maryland
Iowa
Indiana
UAB
UNC
UMass
Tufts
BU
Penn State
Rutgers
SLU
Pitt
Rochester
Creighton
Emory
UTSW
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Einstein
Rochester
Medical College of Wisconsin

Thanks again for your help, let me know of any schools to add or remove!

Members don't see this ad.

What IF of the journals you got published in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Something stands out to me. Are you now applying MD/PhD because you think your application is better suited for it? Or because you have a genuine interest in it?

With regards to your MD application, the main weakness is clearly the non-clinical volunteering and minimal clinical experience. Even then, you received 2 interviews. Secondly, is this current list similar to last year's? Because you have a lot of state schools on there with some IS bias. What state is your permanent address/main residence?

Something stands out to me. Are you now applying MD/PhD because you think your application is better suited for it? Or because you have a genuine interest in it?

With regards to your MD application, the main weakness is clearly the non-clinical volunteering and minimal clinical experience. Even then, you received 2 interviews. Secondly, is this current list similar to last year's? Because you have a lot of state schools on there with some IS bias. What state is your permanent address/main residence?
Thanks for the response! I've honestly reflected a lot about my future in the past year and I'd say the MD/PhD interest is definitely genuine. I honestly was underinformed about the programs themselves when I applied last year, and probably should have applied MD/PhD last year to begin with. Additionally, while I still feel a strong desire to pursue a career in medicine, I have grown to better appreciate my research over the past year. COVID, working with an MD/PhD in the lab, and actually seeing a project from start to finish has definitely strengthened my research focus. Lastly, I believe that the two degree tracks complement each other exceptionally well, and will prepare me for a career solving problems in medical research. I do anticipate this question coming up in potential interviews and on my application so I will be ready to answer it succinctly.

As for my school list, most of the schools I chose were different from last year. I am originally from NH but currently reside in MA. I was under the impression that state bias was not as important for MD/PhD applicants, especially at MSTP programs, but I could definitely be wrong on that.

Thanks for the response! I've honestly reflected a lot about my future in the past year and I'd say the MD/PhD interest is definitely genuine. I honestly was underinformed about the programs themselves when I applied last year, and probably should have applied MD/PhD last year to begin with. Additionally, while I still feel a strong desire to pursue a career in medicine, I have grown to better appreciate my research over the past year. COVID, working with an MD/PhD in the lab, and actually seeing a project from start to finish has definitely strengthened my research focus. Lastly, I believe that the two degree tracks complement each other exceptionally well, and will prepare me for a career solving problems in medical research. I do anticipate this question coming up in potential interviews and on my application so I will be ready to answer it succinctly.

As for my school list, most of the schools I chose were different from last year. I am originally from NH but currently reside in MA. I was under the impression that state bias was not as important for MD/PhD applicants, especially at MSTP programs, but I could definitely be wrong on that.

That's great that you've re-evaluated. With regards to MSTP OOS bias, I actually am not so sure, better to ask MD/PhD students about that. I was just wondering because if that was your MD list, it would be less than ideal.

I think your research experience though is very good overall. I also think whatever your weakness was for the MD only cycle is still going to be there, so try to get on some non-clinical volunteering and make sure you can explain the "why medicine" part convincingly.

That's great that you've re-evaluated. With regards to MSTP OOS bias, I actually am not so sure, better to ask MD/PhD students about that. I was just wondering because if that was your MD list, it would be less than ideal.

I think your research experience though is very good overall. I also think whatever your weakness was for the MD only cycle is still going to be there, so try to get on some non-clinical volunteering and make sure you can explain the "why medicine" part convincingly.
Will do! Thanks!