WAMC+School list help: reapplicant IL ORM, 516/3.78

Started by ngj210003
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ngj210003

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
22M ORM, IL resident just graduated from undergrad in Texas
Double degree, BS Neuroscience, BS Mathematics (+computer science minor)
cGPA: 3.86, sGPA: 3.72 (brought down by upper level math courses mainly, mostly As in bio/chem/neuro courses)
MCAT: 516 (129/130/128/129) (re-took in April awaiting score release)
Undergrad institution: UT Dallas
Clinical experience:
500 hrs thru 5/26 at volunteer clinic, both as MA and administrative volunteer
Research experience:
1000 hrs @ neuroscience research lab studying disease in mice models (2 poster presentations, honors thesis, author on two forthcoming publications) - did not produce any publications bc joined the lab as it started, as a lab we have not produced any publications yet. i am heavily involved in the work, very strong relationship with PI expecting a good letter
30 hrs @ biomed engineering lab doing robotics work
50 hrs @ computer science lab doing robotics work
Extra-curricular activities:
club rugby for 4 years, vice president of the club for 2 years
marine robotics for 3 years, software engineering lead for 2 years
summer internships:
3 summers @ office of naval research doing robotics work
1 paid summer @ neuroscience research lab (as previously mentioned, hours included in research experience)
1 summer @ home health agency in midwest doing finance/consulting work
Honors/awards:
2x cum laude
2x honors college honors
National merit scholarship (covered everything)
Neuroscience major honors (honors thesis)
Award @ poster symposium
Dean's list 2 semesters
underwater robotics 3rd place finish at international event

Additional information:
I had no idea what I was doing last year when I applied; I'd been pre-med but largely out of the loop with the process b/c of the engineering activities/jobs and other major
Applied last cycle super late (primary submitted in august, secondaries submitted in sep/oct/nov)
Applied only 3 schools, no interviews
Will be moving to Austin for a job (software engineering at a robotics firm) in gap year, plan to continue volunteering on weekends

School list (looking to add schools):
UIC (applied last year)
Loyola (applied last year)
RFU (applied last year)
Tulane
UIUC
UChicago
Rush
UW
UW-Madison
OSU
IU
USC

One big question I have: do I stand a chance with Texas schools? I don't have residency there, but I did do my undergrad there and will continue to live there in my gap year

Please be gentle, I'm still trying to figure a lot out and I recognize that my school list might be ambitious given my profile
 
Forgot to add: have my NREMT certification (shadowed for 36 hrs in ER, 12 hrs on an ambulance), did not work as an EMT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you get any interviews from the three schools where you applied?
None, I understand that I applied pretty late (secondaries submitted in sep/oct/nov)

Should I delay my application until I can get non-clinical volunteering, or just mark it as planned? I only have shadowing planned this summer and could add non-clinical volunteering to my plate
 
You applied to Loyola (heavy service to underserved expected), UIC (strong commitment to urban underserved), and RFUMS (strong dedication to service orientation and interprofessional care) last cycle, and if you didn't do anything over the interim year to build your credibility here (Loyola and Rush want hundreds of hours for consideration), you are better off not applying. If you are unsuccessful, your chances at these schools may suffer because you would be a 3x applicant, and that wouldn't be good for your in-state options, though you have plenty of others. (You should also consider DO schools if you don't get any interviews by August.)

Carle Illinois may be an interesting case because you have a fair amount of engineering experience, but service is also important to them.
 
Thank you for the advice!
You applied to Loyola (heavy service to underserved expected), UIC (strong commitment to urban underserved), and RFUMS (strong dedication to service orientation and interprofessional care) last cycle, and if you didn't do anything over the interim year to build your credibility here (Loyola and Rush want hundreds of hours for consideration), you are better off not applying. If you are unsuccessful, your chances at these schools may suffer because you would be a 3x applicant, and that wouldn't be good for your in-state options, though you have plenty of others. (You should also consider DO schools if you don't get any interviews by August.)

Carle Illinois may be an interesting case because you have a fair amount of engineering experience, but service is also important to them.


I also had another question about applying to Texas schools, wondering what your thoughts would be on that. I'm not legally a Texas resident, but I did my undergrad there and will also be working in Austin in my gap year. Do I have a case, or should I focus elsewhere?
 
Thank you for the advice!

I also had another question about applying to Texas schools, wondering what your thoughts would be on that. I'm not legally a Texas resident, but I did my undergrad there and will also be working in Austin in my gap year. Do I have a case, or should I focus elsewhere?

You could try, but the community service expectation still exists. You may have a better profile if a lot of your service was in Texas, but no guarantees. Be mindful of each school's dedication to provide physicians for their part of the state.