reapplicant WAMC + school list: 3.7/518 CA ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hogonabeach

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
changes since last cycle are marked with (*)
  1. 3.7 cGPA (breakdown by year is 4.0, 3.6, 3.6), 3.65 cGPA
  2. 2 MCAT attempts
    1. 517 (130/129/130/128): took between 2nd and 3rd year of college, expired
    2. 518* (127/129/132/130): not sure if ADCOMs will care or not, but got this score >2 years after graduating and >3 years after any relevant coursework
  3. CA resident with strong ties to MI, CO, NY, NH
  4. White
  5. Mid-tier UC
  6. 300 hrs hospice volunteering, 500 hrs oncology scribing, 900 hrs ED scribing*
  7. 300 hrs bench research (plant genetics lab & organic chem lab)
  8. 100 hrs shadowing (orthopedic surgery clinic, pediatric surgery, transplant surgery, thoracic surgery)
  9. 300 hrs of conservation volunteering, 1300 hrs of AmeriCorps service with underserved community*
  10. Other ECs: 200 hrs paid nonclinical, 400 hrs leadership in a large university club, 2000+ hrs of hobbies that aren't generic
  11. Letters: 2 science profs, 1 AmeriCorps, 1 ED MD, 1 ED PA (close relationship), 1 oncology MD (directly told it was strong in previous interview)
  12. Following my previous cycle, I met with 3 schools to discuss my weaknesses. I was told by all 3 that my writing was fine and service was the main thing my app was missing to be interview-caliber. My previous cycle results: 2 II --> 2 WL --> 2 R.

school list:
  • GWU
  • Georgetown
  • Kaiser Permanente
  • Methodist University
  • Rush Medical College
  • Temple/Lewis Katz
  • Tulane
  • UC Davis
    • from NorCal
  • UC Irvine
  • VCU
    • previous II #1
  • Wayne State
  • Albany Medical College
  • Buffalo University
    • family here, previous II #2
  • Creighton
  • Dartmouth/Geisel
  • EVMS
  • Hackensack
  • Jefferson
  • Loyola/Stritch
  • MCW
  • Oakland University/William Beaumont
  • SLU
  • Tufts
  • UCLA
  • UCR
    • service is in a close community
  • UCSD
  • USC
  • Vermont/Larner
  • Western Michigan
  • Einstein
  • Cornell
  • Duke
  • Emory
  • Mayo
  • Michigan
  • Northwestern/Feinberg
  • Pitt
  • Stanford
  • UCSF
  • UChicago
  • UVA

DO schools
  • MSUCOM
  • PCOM
  • rowan
  • western pacific

I have the savings to apply to this expansive of a school list so am mainly looking for swaps if a school is not recommended. Thank you for the help!
 
Where did you get interviews/decisions last cycle? How did you add 1300 hours of Americorps in a year? (I know it's possible, but what were you doing?)
I received my interviews from VCU in August and Buffalo in September of my last cycle. I was waitlisted at Buffalo in December and again at VCU in March. As for the Americorps position, it is a current position in which I work 50 hours a week, with 1000 hours complete and another 300+ hours will be done by time of application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received my interviews from VCU in August and Buffalo in September of my last cycle. I was waitlisted at Buffalo in December and again at VCU in March. As for the Americorps position, it is a current position in which I work 50 hours a week, with 1000 hours complete and another 300+ hours will be done by time of application.
I ask what you did at Americorps. You hinted your work is close to RIverside/Inland Empire, but you had only started when you applied last time, correct?

I also presume that you did not have an Americorps letter in your previous application?

I presume that adding 1000 hours is helpful as long as you can integrate social mission into your purpose.
 
I ask what you did at Americorps. You hinted your work is close to RIverside/Inland Empire, but you had only started when you applied last time, correct?

I also presume that you did not have an Americorps letter in your previous application?

I presume that adding 1000 hours is helpful as long as you can integrate social mission into your purpose.
Yeah, I started it after the last cycle fully ended so brand new, never in an update letter. The work involves helping students who are performing 2-3 grades below their expected grade level during and after school with grades, mentorship, behavior, etc. Sort of a combo of teachers assistant, learning interventionist, behavior interventionist, and after-school tutor wrapped into one role. It’s at one of the state’s highest needs elementary schools, in one of the poorest areas of the state as well. I developed an interest in medical literacy and making care more equitable while scribing in a nearby ED and looked into AmeriCorps for programs in that realm, then after some more research ended up applying to my current position. My thought process that I’ll cover in my application was targeting one of the root issues that leads to the medical literacy issues later in life—that being worse quality education growing up.

And yep, I forgot to add the (*) to the letters section but the new ones are my Americorps, EM PA, and EM MD letters.