WAMC/School List/Next Steps Help, cGPA 3.60, sGPA 3.42, MCAT 505

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sakura-studies

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit: I edited out specific things about myself as to not get doxed :)

I'm starting to panic from the lack of positive responses from the schools I applied to this cycle. I have 0 interview invites so far. I am hoping for an evaluation of my school list and I'm thinking about applying to more schools. I would also like some advice on how I can improve my application for the next cycle, should I fail to get in this cycle. Should I retake the MCAT and take post-bac classes/SMP? :( Any advice is very appreciated!

1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.60 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, U shaped trend :(
2. MCAT score: 505
* Had a migraine attack during Chem/Physics and didn't get meds until my mid-test break. Scored 5 pts lower than my practice tests
3. State of residence: NY
4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM
5. Undergraduate institution: Public, State
6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
Total: 3,600 hours
7. Research experience and productivity:
Total: 550 hours
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Total: 89 hours
9. Non-clinical volunteering
Total: 210 hours:
10.Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Employment: 9,000 hours ( span of my lifetime lol, underestimated)
Teaching: 300 hours
Hobby: Painting: 2,000 hours ( also underestimated )

School List ( DO)
20 Primaries, 15 Secondaries
Did Not Recieve Secondaries from 5 schools: VCOM, TORUO-CA, CUSOM, ACOM, WVCOM
ii Waitlist: 1, AZCOM

NYIT- Old Westbury
DMU
UNE
PCOM-PA
CCOM
Touro-NY
Touro-CA
LECOM- Erie
LECOM- B
Rowan
A.T.Still- Kirksville
KCU
VCOM
AZCOM
MSU COM
COMP
COMP-NW
CUSOM
ACOM
WVCOM

School List ( MD)
Primaries/Secondaries: 5
Hold: 1, SUNY Upstate

SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Bufffalo
NYMC
Albany

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is still early in the interview season and DO schools schedule interviews through March and April. You should apply to more DO schools in the coming week and I suggest these:
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
UIWSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WCU-COM
LECOM (Elmira)
TUNCOM
NYIT-AR

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
It is still early in the interview season and DO schools schedule interviews through March and April. You should apply to more DO schools in the coming week and I suggest these:
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
UIWSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
WCU-COM
LECOM (Elmira)
TUNCOM
NYIT-AR
Thank you very much for your advice Faha! I'll add these to my list this week :) Do you think it's worth studying for the MCAT again or taking post bac classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your advice Faha! I'll add these to my list this week :) Do you think it's worth studying for the MCAT again or taking post bac classes?
If you are not accepted to a DO school then a post bacc and a retake of the MCAT may help you for a future application cycle. I would be surprised if you do not receive multiple DO interviews by March.

• Care
If you are not accepted to a DO school then a post bacc and a retake of the MCAT may help you for a future application cycle. I would be surprised if you do not receive multiple DO interviews by March.
Thank you very much for your help 🥰! I feel so much better from your advice!
Have a wonderful day~

Experience descriptions with a breakdown of hours would help. How much networking did you do with these schools before you submitted an application?
Hi! So my post initially had more details about my ECs but I was happy with Faha's help so I removed some info about me after she/he responded! I would love any additional feedback so I'll re-add them here:

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
Total: 3,600 hours

MA/Scribe at a huge COVID testing center during the height of the pandemic: 1,300 hours
- Scribing, COVID testing, specimen collecting, drawing blood, EKGs, vitals, interviewing pt histories, etc

MA at a clinic: 1,200 hours ( current)
- Basically, everything above + starting IVs, administering vaccines, finger glucose tests, contacting pts, answering phones, assisting with x-rays and procedures

CNA for my disabled grandma: 1,100 hours ( current)
- Obtained CNA to be a caretaker for my grandma + became officially hired by Medicare so we can take advantage of perks like free supplies and transportation to doctor appointments. I only counted the hours I was hired for.

Volunteer at a hospital: 50 hours
- Patient transport

Research experience and productivity:
Total: 550 hours

Biochemistry: 400 hours
- Wet lab bench work, preparing reagents, cell cultures, duplicating my PI's studies
- Started independent research but was cut short due to covid
- no pub/no poster although the work was published, I was just not recognized as an author

Psychology: 150 hours
- Carried out a biopsychology experiment on obesity
- no pub/no poster although the work was published, I was just not recognized as an author

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Total: 89 hours
-
Pediatrics, Family Medicine, DO, Virtual shadowing

Non-clinical volunteering
Total: 210 hours:
-
Soup Kitchen
- Painting murals

Other extracurricular activities

Employment at my family's restaurant: 9,000 hours ( span of my lifetime lol, underestimated)
- Worked from childhood onwards to help out my parents ( we're really poor)

Teaching: 300 hours
- Taught art to low SES students

Hobby: Painting: 2,000 hours ( also underestimated )
- Had my art in galas/ galleries/ museums

Basic Demographics
- 23 y/o, F, East Asian:) It took me 1.5years after graduating college to apply. I really wanted to help out with the pandemic and care for my grandma so I pushed my app to this cycle!
- Low SES, First generation college student, immigrant family
- On my app, I discussed language/socioeconomic barriers in healthcare and geriatric care

For networking, I attended a few virtual open houses and info sessions but that's about it. I also attended undergrad at one of the MD schools I applied to.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
I'm not sanguine about MD schools. Chances best with DO
Hi Goro! I only applied to MDs because of my FAP but my DO schools don't seem to like me either :'( Dr. Faha and duturedoctorhope are right- I'm probably just being worried and impatient for no reason haha :bucktooth:

Hi Goro! I only applied to MDs because of my FAP but my DO schools don't seem to like me either :'( Dr. Faha and duturedoctorhope are right- I'm probably just being worried and impatient for no reason haha :bucktooth:
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

• Care