WAMC/School List (sGPA 3.9/518/ Texas ORM/ Reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user320193

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm trying to finalize my school list for AMCAS- already applying to all the MD/DO schools in Texas. For reference, I am a Texas reapplicant. Got some feedback on my last year's application and main issues were lack of non-clinical hours + PS was decent (could be more concise) + MCAT (depending on the school) + submitted late (secondaries in mid August). Thank you for all your help!
  1. cGPA: 3.95, sGPA: 3.9
  2. 512 (last year's application) --> 518 (128/131/129/130)
  3. Residency: Texas, but lived in NJ for 13 years
  4. Asian, Female
  5. UT Austin, Top 10 public universities
  6. Clinical experiencce: Pharmacy Technician (110 hours), Hospital Volunteer( 179 hours)
  7. Research: 920 hours
    1. 2 posters + expected 2nd author publication this summer ( submitted manuscript, but PI is submitting multiple this summer and said they'll put my name on whichever gets accepted first since I helped on different projects)
  8. Shadowing experience: 80 hours (virtual during covid through utsw, Anesthesiology, Internal Medicine)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 244 hours (mentor, animal shelter, crisis textline)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Won University Research Fellowship: senior year
    2. Multiple Leadership Roles in Sorority (4 years)
    3. TA for research Lab (3 years)
    4. Committee Member for Pre-Health Frat (2 years) : raised over 20k to provide pro-bono cleft palate surgeries for underserved children in Guatemala
    5. Gap Year 2023-2024:
      1. Paid Full-time Post- Bac at NIH
      2. Continue as Textline Volunteer (expected 190 hours)
      3. Currently applying for court appointed advocate for kids in the foster system (12-15 hours/month)
      4. Will probably take up another job to help pay for rent + living (12-20 hours/week)
      5. Shadowing: Pulmonology: 90 hours
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Second Year Excellence Award : given to sophomores in Natural Sciences in recognition of their academic excellence and achievement in research, entrepreneurship, service and leadership, and diversity, equity and inclusion.
    2. Mentor of the Year
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Reapplicant
    2. BS in Bio + Certificate/Minor in Spanish
    3. Should I expand list to include more DO OOS?
Current List:
  • Baylor
  • UTSW
  • UTMB
  • McGovern
  • Long
  • Texas Tech - Lubbock
  • Texas Tech - El Paso
  • UNTHSC (DO)
  • Sam Houston (DO)
  • A&M
  • Dell
  • Georgetown
  • Pitt Med
  • Rutgers School of Medicine
  • NOVA MD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you receive any interviews in your previous application ? What is your connection to the OOS schools you listed ?

Did you receive any interviews in your previous application ? What is your connection to the OOS schools you listed ?
Yes- I only applied to texas schools last cycle and got 2 interviews - Lubbock and Mcgovern. For the OOS schools, I don't really have any connection. I tried to find schools that were either in NJ or matched my stats and were open to OOS applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive more interviews from your Texas schools with your new MCAT of 518. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. For AMCAS schools you could try TCU and Tulane.

Reactions: 1 user
For the OOS schools, I don't really have any connection. I tried to find schools that were either in NJ or matched my stats and were open to OOS applicants!
As pointed out, you need to show that you have authentic interest attending a school where you want to pay tens of thousands more in tuition and cost of living loans. Have you done any networking with those schools? And why that area?

TBH I wouldn't add more DO, but would consider adding the following OOS MD schools -

Dartmouth, Emory, Rush, Loyola, Creighton, AZ-Phoenix, Tufts, Boston U, and some S-tier like Vandy, Northwestern, Yale, Penn, etc.