WAMC/School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted555445

Closing thread and removing PII

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest not adding more reaches and consider adding these schools instead:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Seton Hall
George Washington

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest not adding more reaches and consider adding these schools instead:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Seton Hall
George Washington
Thanks! I've looked at these I wasn't sure how some of them would be for an OOS applicant, but I think I'll probably add a couple of those.

What do you think of the rest of the list I have above? Do you think I have a shot at some of the reaches I listed, or am I dreaming?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I've looked at these I wasn't sure how some of them would be for an OOS applicant, but I think I'll probably add a couple of those.

What do you think of the rest of the list I have above? Do you think I have a shot at some of the reaches I listed, or am I dreaming?
Yes, you could receive interviews at some of the reaches but any one school is unpredictable.

Yes, you could receive interviews at some of the reaches but any one school is unpredictable.
I had another question if you have the time. How do you recommend I navigate such a stark difference in MCAT and GPA? For example Albany, a school I'd be very happy to be accepted by, has a 90th %ile MCAT at 515. Will I get yield protected at these schools? Same with TCU-UNT which I was just looking into, but for these schools i'm still usually at or below their 10th %ile GPA.

Would also appreciate insight from @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @BlackMathMajor, and any others would be greatly appreciated as well! Sorry to tag everyone but I just want to get as many eyes as possible given I'm a weird case.

I had another question if you have the time. How do you recommend I navigate such a stark difference in MCAT and GPA? For example Albany, a school I'd be very happy to be accepted by, has a 90th %ile MCAT at 515. Will I get yield protected at these schools? Same with TCU-UNT which I was just looking into, but for these schools i'm still usually at or below their 10th %ile GPA.

Would also appreciate insight from @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @BlackMathMajor, and any others would be greatly appreciated as well! Sorry to tag everyone but I just want to get as many eyes as possible given I'm a weird case.
There are plenty of schools that reward reinvention.

You can't focus on single metrics

There are plenty of schools that reward reinvention.

You can't focus on single metrics
I appreciate the advice. Do you have any recommendations (additions or subtractions) for the school list above?

Columbia
WashU
Stanford
UCSF*
UCSD*
UCLA*
BU
UC-Irvine*
Pitt
Case Western
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Emory
UC-Davis*
USC
Georgetown
Tufts
Maryland (maybe)
Wake Forest
SLU
GW
Loyola-Chicago
UMiami
Albert Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
NY Medical College
Wayne State
Albany
ADD:
EVMS
Netter
SLU
Vandy
Tulane
Any DO school except those on my Bad Boy list

You should add Kaiser and CUSM since you are in-state. They are both private, but you should always apply to the schools close to home. They usually give preference to IS students anyways since they are more likely to matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should add Kaiser and CUSM since you are in-state. They are both private, but you should always apply to the schools close to home. They usually give preference to IS students anyways since they are more likely to matriculate.
Kaiser definitely seems interesting, but I was going to wait and see what the admit stats looked like when they post some time in the Spring. CUSM was on my list for a while, but when I was researching them it seems like they heavily favor students from the Inland Empire, and I'm up in Northern California. I don't think I would fit their mission, given my lack of ties to that region. Personally, I'd rather leave the west coast if possible but I'll go anywhere that accepts me!

Kaiser definitely seems interesting, but I was going to wait and see what the admit stats looked like when they post some time in the Spring. CUSM was on my list for a while, but when I was researching them it seems like they heavily favor students from the Inland Empire, and I'm up in Northern California. I don't think I would fit their mission, given my lack of ties to that region. Personally, I'd rather leave the west coast if possible but I'll go anywhere that accepts me!
If you want to leave, then that’s up to you, but CUSM offered me an interview, and I’m from the bay (I turned it down so I don’t know how it would have turned out, but still). It seems like they tend to prefer them, but their website claims that less than a quarter of the students each year are from the IE. It is the modal county, but certainly not the whole class.

If you want to leave, then that’s up to you, but CUSM offered me an interview, and I’m from the bay (I turned it down so I don’t know how it would have turned out, but still). It seems like they tend to prefer them, but their website claims that less than a quarter of the students each year are from the IE. It is the modal county, but certainly not the whole class.
Hmm thats interesting, okay maybe I'll give them another look, I was thinking they were similar to Riverside given that they included IE in their mission statement, but I'm in the bay right now too so maybe they're not as strict. Also, I assumed from your username that you were from Boston lol.

Kaiser definitely seems interesting, but I was going to wait and see what the admit stats looked like when they post some time in the Spring.

I think they already have MSAR stats up from their first cycle. 515 median MCAT I think?

I think they already have MSAR stats up from their first cycle. 515 median MCAT I think?
OP, I recommend having Kaiser, but not CUSM. The wise @gyngyn has a dim view of this school, and I respect his judgement on this.

I recall that Kasier had an MCAT median of 514 last year. No surprise given that it's a CA school AND having free tuition for its charter classes.

OP, I recommend having Kaiser, but not CUSM. The wise @gyngyn has a dim view of this school, and I respect his judgement on this.

I recall that Kasier had an MCAT median of 514 last year. No surprise given that it's a CA school AND having free tuition for its charter classes.
Oh interesting, I may go looking for some of @gyngyn's posts on CUSM to see what the word is.

For Kaiser, yes it looks like median is 515. The only thing that throws me is that class size of 50, and just how stiff competition probably is for free medical school in the LA area. What would be really awesome is if they put some of that $$ towards free secondary's, but then there would probably just be more competition...

I guess one more question I have for you and anyone else who can offer advice, are there any schools were I'm definitely not competitive? Looking at for example JHU's lower 10th %ile GPA being 3.78 I feel they really care about having a good GPA and might be less forgiving than others like Columbia or UCSF. It would be helpful when choosing reaches to know if there are any to avoid altogether. Thanks!

hard to say how your cycle will go. top schools will not like your gpa and lower-ranked schools won't like your MCAT (too high, aka yield protection). i would just apply broadly and see what happens

hard to say how your cycle will go. top schools will not like your gpa and lower-ranked schools won't like your MCAT (too high, aka yield protection). i would just apply broadly and see what happens
Sigh yeah it seems like its gonna be a bit of a crapshoot, but I guess that's true for everyone. I wish I could go back to my stupid self in college and give him a swift kick to the balls for being so lazy... but like my tattoo says, no regrats

I guess one more question I have for you and anyone else who can offer advice, are there any schools were I'm definitely not competitive? Looking at for example JHU's lower 10th %ile GPA being 3.78 I feel they really care about having a good GPA and might be less forgiving than others like Columbia or UCSF. It would be helpful when choosing reaches to know if there are any to avoid altogether. Thanks!
The higher up the pole you want to climb, them ore slippery it gets. Stop witht he obsession with Really Top Schools and target those where your stats are closest to the medians, or at least, above the 10th %iles. Invest in MSAR to find these numbers, and pay very careful attention to IS/OOS ratios when looking at state schools. U VM should be on your list, for starters.

Service to others less fortunate than one's self does wonders, like at SLU and Gtown

The higher up the pole you want to climb, them ore slippery it gets. Stop witht he obsession with Really Top Schools and target those where your stats are closest to the medians, or at least, above the 10th %iles. Invest in MSAR to find these numbers, and pay very careful attention to IS/OOS ratios when looking at state schools. U VM should be on your list, for starters.
My bad, I don't mean to sound like I'm focused only on top schools, I'm mostly asking as I'm trying to determine where my ceiling is so I can make educated reaches rather than starry-eyed reaches. I thought I had UVM (love to snowboard) on my list but I guess it didn't make it on the update I copied, I'll definitely be including them.

The issue I have with MSAR (I used it to create my initial list) is that for the majority of schools I'm below 10th %ile GPA and above 90th %ile MCAT, so I don't really have any schools that fall in that "target" range. I ended up creating a little metric for myself to choose schools that have a large divide in MCAT and GPA (based off their standard deviations) to help guide me, and it seems to largely agree with schools you recommend to reinventors. I think with my list and the schools that have been recommended by yourself and Faha, I should be able to put together a good list. Now I just need some way to bring it down to around ~40 so I can afford it.

My bad, I don't mean to sound like I'm focused only on top schools, I'm mostly asking as I'm trying to determine where my ceiling is so I can make educated reaches rather than starry-eyed reaches. I thought I had UVM (love to snowboard) on my list but I guess it didn't make it on the update I copied, I'll definitely be including them.

The issue I have with MSAR (I used it to create my initial list) is that for the majority of schools I'm below 10th %ile GPA and above 90th %ile MCAT, so I don't really have any schools that fall in that "target" range. I ended up creating a little metric for myself to choose schools that have a large divide in MCAT and GPA (based off their standard deviations) to help guide me, and it seems to largely agree with schools you recommend to reinventors. I think with my list and the schools that have been recommended by yourself and Faha, I should be able to put together a good list. Now I just need some way to bring it down to around ~40 so I can afford it.
As you're a reinventor, I recommend the following. STOP looking at the school's median cGPAs...they don't apply to you because you have to use your reinventing GPAs.
Columbia
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI
Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

As you're a reinventor, I recommend the following. STOP looking at the school's median cGPAs...they don't apply to you because you have to use your reinventing GPAs.
Columbia
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI
Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.
this is great, thanks! one last question before i close this thread, why a maybe for Keck?

Status
Not open for further replies.