Jens825

2+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
MOVED THIS TO WAMC:

With May and June fast approaching, I thought I would post my school list to see whether I am way off base as I get ready. In particular, I acknowledge that there is no such thing as a safe-school, and want to make sure my list is realistic. Furthermore, I know that sometimes there are particularities with certain schools that are kind of unspoken (like not having a pub and applying to Stanford). So I just wanted to tap into community knowledge. Thanks!

Residence: Utah

Ethnicity/Race: Caucasian

Univ: BYU

GPA: 4.00 (both science and non-science)

MCAT: 524

Shadowing: 80 varied hours in internal, family, neuro-surgery, neurology, and pulmonology.

Nonclinical volunteering: 300 hours as a crisis text line counselor. 250 hours as a group facilitator and outreach committee member for the state chapter of National alliance on mental illness (NAMI). Church service mission in Denmark and Iceland (420 hours of service, including a lot of work with refugees from Africa).

Clinical volunteering: 330 hours of hospice, 50 hours as a physical therapy aide at a psychiatric hospital.

Leadership: 200 hours Vice president of the university chapter of the national alliance on mental illness, trained several missionaries as they entered the country as well as overseeing an area with 10 missionaries in total.

Teaching experience: 310 hours as TA for Major oriented intro bio class, 100 hours as TA for Behavioral Neurobiology, 250 hours as MCAT tutor.

Research: 1050 hours (2 years) as RA in Behavioral brain imaging lab. Hoping to have a pub before June, but am not banking on it. PI noted that I will be on several pubs in the future in LOR.

Work: 1300 hours (4 years) as a medication quality manager for a clinical trial service company

Awards: Eagle scout, deans list 4 years, full-tuition scholarship 4 years, winner of university public speech showcase

Hobbies: Snowboarding-4000 hours.

School list:

Vanderbilt
U of U
UCLA
Kaiser
UCSD
Duke
Wash U
Yale
University of Colorado
Baylor
Harvard
Mayo
Northwestern
Case western
U-Penn
U-Cincinnati
U-Michigan
Ohio State
U-Pitt
Arizona Phoneix
U-Vermont
U-Iowa
Creighton
UT-Autsin
UT-SW
St. Louis university
Stryker
Med College of Wisconsin
Emory
Chapel hill
U-Virginia

Thanks again!

Apr 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Commented on the original so I'll just throw it on here too:
BYU grads (like me:)) do pretty well at getting into Texas schools so if you could see yourself at any of those, keep them on the list! Tuition is so much cheaper and UTSW and Dell (and Baylor) are great schools. I would drop Colorado, they are becoming like Tufts in terms of number of applications and they aren't super OOS friendly. I'd also drop Stryker, MCW, SLU, AZ, Creighton, UVM, UNC. You've got an awesome application and will do great no matter where you apply. Could add NYU and UCSF?

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.