WAMC/schools list/specific questions. Veteran non-trad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willsb22

Reaction score
Hoping for some help from all you super experienced people. My current, short schools list is derived from MSAR data using my WARS, veteran/non-trad friendliness, and anecdotal recommendations. Also have some specific questions towards the bottom of my W&As. Applying this upcoming cycle.
  1. cGPA and sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  7. Research experience and productivity
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important

cGPA: 3.84 w/ upward trajectory. Freshman year sucked.
sGPA: 3.68 (see previous)
MCAT: 514 (130/131/128/125)
Demographics: white male, Idaho resident
School Info: Service Academy, majored in Arabic
Grad School GPA: 4.0 (MPA from a state school)
DIY Post-bacc GPA: 4.0

WARS: 75, not sure how to score myself in some categories so usually went conservative

Leadership/Military: I was an officer on submarines. Primary management job was nuclear engineering; primary tactical job was leading the bridge team that made the boat go places and do things. Upward trajectory. MM#1.

Clinical experience: 160 hrs - CNA-ing in a hospital, meds pulling at a clinic, ultra-shadowing that turned very hands-on and involved. MM#2.

Non-clinical volunteering, undergrad: 270 hours - various trips to developing countries to work with disadvantaged populations & refugees. MM#3.

Non-clinical volunteering, post-grad: 548 hours - fitness instructor (unpaid), mentor for struggling teens

Shadowing: 52 hours - general surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, EM doc, radiologist

(The following experience areas are ones I'm struggling with and have questions attached)

Research: major weak area. "Research project" during grad school that was public health-related but no pub. Senior thesis from undergrad but written in Arabic/not science related, and my brain largely scrubbed that after 8 years of engineering work (feels risky to include on an app?)

Teaching: ?? hours - ROTC instructor at 2 state universities for 3 years. Still unsure how to account for this in terms of hours. Is it like time spent in the actual classroom with actual students? Time spent prepping for class/grading/etc also count? Advising? etc
Undergrad tutor (128 hours)

Awards: lots of military awards that are probably meaningless to AdComs but some of which are fairly legit to someone in my former world. Not MM so not enough space to adequately describe more than 1 or 2. Should I just stick with those or list the other important ones with no explanation?

Other random things:

1) Undergrad was 9 years ago. I did some things that took up a lot of my time, but they seem insignificant/irrelevant now compared to my life since. For example: a) president of a major academic club, b) played a varsity sport for 2 years (lettered) before a career-ending injury, c) summer internships (2 really cool intelligence agency ones but no direct science/med connection), d) various student leadership positions associated with the service academy. As a trad, these would be front and center in my W&As. As a non-trad, they are getting crowded out. Recency bias? Should I keep them out of the W&As or find a way to work em in? (I know this is super subjective.)

2) Hobbies and travel. Lots. Very very extra. Seem like a distraction from other things I want to highlight in the app. Valid concern or overthinking?

My Schools List

UWSOM (resident)
Utah
UN-Reno
Colorado
Vermont
Michigan
Dartmouth
Medical Uni of South Carolina (grew up in SC; both parents are alums)

Any for-sure additions...maybe additions...reach additions?

Y'all are the best. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Kaiser
California University
Colorado
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Cicninnati
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Boston University
Tufts
The South Carolina MD schools

Reactions: 1 user
@LizzyM has said in the past that vets are higly sought after. Maybe she can suggest some good reaches! Good luck and thanks for your service :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will have a great application season if you cast your net a little farther. Your list has some schools with pretty strong in state preference. I was also an academy grad with lower stats than you. Had luck with my state school as well as ETSU, Tulane, UCF, UA-phoenix, USUHS, and Columbia P&S. I would throw some reaches on if you can stomach the extra secondaries. Feel free to DM me if you have questions that come up. I’ve helped many other vets navigate the process and would be happy to help.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, don’t worry about the research at all. I had zero, and it was never brought up nor hurt me from my point of view.