WAMC: Started late with vet experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llamagirl620

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I am currently a sophomore in undergrad but I'm on track to graduate a year early and now I'm freaking out because I have barely any veterinary experience and I'm not sure that I have enough time to get the experience before the time I would be applying to vet school (potentially as early as one year from now).

I have a high GPA (3.9) and about 1100 hours of general animal experience (pet sitting, working at a kennel, volunteering at the humane society, showing livestock). However I have only about 50 hours of clinic experience so far. I was just offered a position as a vet assistant though, so I guess my question is will I have enough hours to be a competitive applicant even if I'm only able to work part time in a clinic for a year?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not ALWAYS true (there are a few exceptions), but in general, you don't run a diagnostic test on a patient unless the outcome gives you something ACTIONABLE. Either helps focus your efforts to find what's wrong, or guides therapy, or whatever.

This question sorta fails that test. :)

I totally understand why you're asking, but what are you going to do with the answer? Nothing! You're going to work as hard as you can over the next year, apply to vet school, and either get in or not. If not, you're going to focus on correcting whatever deficiencies they identify.

In other words: Don't sweat it, quit freaking out, and focus on controlling what you can control. Do what you can do, apply, and let the cards fall. :)

Reactions: 5 users