WAMC: Swipe right on this school list? CA / 21F / ORM / 515 / 3.77 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Beautiful Birds

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
View attachment 421393
Admit.org pic attached above for additional reference
  1. Walton
  2. Arizona Phoenix
  3. Shufeldt MD/Meng (X)
  4. California
  5. California Northstate
  6. Kaiser Permanente-Tyson
  7. Loma Linda
  8. Southern Cal-Keck
  9. Stanford
  10. UC Davis
  11. UC Irvine
  12. UC Riverside
  13. UC San Diego
  14. UC San Francisco
  15. UCLA-Geffen
  16. Colorado
  17. Quinnipiac-Netter
  18. George Washington
  19. Georgetown
  20. Miami-Miller
  21. Emory
  22. Hawaii-Burns
  23. Chicago Med Franklin
  24. Loyola-Stritch
  25. Massachusetts-Chan (X)
  26. Oakland Beaumont
  27. Wayne State
  28. Western Michigan-Stryker
  29. Wake Forest
  30. Cape Fear (X)
  31. Creighton
  32. Dartmouth-Geisel
  33. Hackensack Meridian
  34. Roseman
  35. UNLV-Kerkorian (X)
  36. Albany
  37. Einstein
  38. New York Medical
  39. Cincinnati
  40. Ohio State
  41. Drexel
  42. Jefferson-Kimmel
  43. Penn State
  44. Pittsburgh
  45. Brown-Alpert
  46. TCU-Burnett
  47. Eastern Virginia ODU
  48. Virginia Commonwealth
  49. Virginia Tech Carilion
  50. U Washington
  51. MC Wisconsin
Any school a bad match or any potential good ones? Submitted primary late 6/26 lol so I got time to prewrite. UWashington was a mistake before I really researched how to make a list lmao.

Applying broadly to research and service schools, avoided Deep South states and Great Plains for personal reasons. Would like to stay close to CA as possible, I applied to every school there!

Already had to remove Reno Nevada, Arizona Tuscon, Rush, Temple-Katz, and Larner-Vermont because they don't accept community college credits rip 🙁

Some more info about me if it helps!

State of Residence:
- Raised in CA most of life, Hawaii born, Asian
- Ties to Hawaii, Michigan, North Carolina, Nevada, Central California

School Info:
- SoCal UC governance major graduate
- sGPA 3.79 about the same as cGPA
- 515 MCAT 1 attempt: 128 CP / 129 CARS / 127 BB / 131 PS

EC Hours:
- Clinical paid: 1.5k hrs / 3 jobs ophthalmology and orthopedics
- Research: 2k hrs / 8 posters, no pubs in neurology and psychology
- Clinical volunteering: 200 hours / hospital and free eye clinic
- Nonclinical volunteering: 1.5k but 1k is from animal care / rest is music club and music therapy, food banks, homeless shelters, phone hotlines
- Leadership: 500-1k hours, -200 if you take out paid nonclinical job (HS camp counselor) / rest is music club and research supervisor
- Tutoring/teaching: 100 hours / TA writing class and ESL tutor
- Shadowing: 100 hours / 6 or 7 specialties 😉plastics, family, pediatrics, neurocritical care, emergency, derm

No X-factors to speak of I prolly messed up not including any hobbies I didn't monetize or turn into a school activity even though I have a lot rip.
Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you so much! Best comment gets free app advice or MCAT tutoring though lmao 😉
 
Last edited:
Please complete a WAMC template (your attachment didn't work). Details on your experiencce help to discern mission fit and help us answer your questions.

Can you explain why you want to travel across the country to attend medical school at:
VT-Carillion
EVMS
Cape Fear Methodist
AWSOM
TCU
Einstein
Oakland
Wayne State
NYMC
 
Please complete a WAMC template (your attachment didn't work). Details on your experiencce help to discern mission fit and help us answer your questions.

Can you explain why you want to travel across the country to attend medical school at:
VT-Carillion
EVMS
Cape Fear Methodist
AWSOM
TCU
Einstein
Oakland
Wayne State
NYMC
I have the school list up top as well it's the numbered list. I also edited my original post with some details about my experiences. I would like to stay as close to California as possible for family but I'm ok with moving across the country because I don't want to reapply another cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could you explain your reason to keep those schools?
Shufeldt MD/Meng (X)

  • new AZ school engineering focus, my research is bme/coding despite being humanities major
  • Unknown stats
  • Website says open to oos
Massachusetts-Chan (X)

  • Not too oos unfriendly 60 IS/30 OOS split
  • I’m not sure why admit flagged this school it’s within my stats too
Cape Fear (X)

  • New North Carolina school I looked up their sdn thread which said they were open to oos
  • unknown stats
UNLV-Kerkorian (X)

  • I have 2nd tier ties to the state according to their website
 
Shufeldt MD/Meng (X)

  • new AZ school engineering focus, my research is bme/coding despite being humanities major
  • Unknown stats
  • Website says open to oos
Massachusetts-Chan (X)

  • Not too oos unfriendly 60 IS/30 OOS split
  • I’m not sure why admit flagged this school it’s within my stats too
Cape Fear (X)

  • New North Carolina school I looked up their sdn thread which said they were open to oos
  • unknown stats
UNLV-Kerkorian (X)

  • I have 2nd tier ties to the state according to their website
UMass you can keep. No to the rest. 2nd tier ties for UNLV puts you behind everybody who is a resident as well those who actually were from the state and left and those with parents/grandparents/siblings or a spouse for their class size of 66.

I suggest:

Kaiser
Loma Linda (only if you are similarly religious as them)
Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (only if from the IE)
UC San Diego
Colorado
Quinnipiac-Netter
George Washington
Georgetown
Miami-Miller
Emory
Chicago Med Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan-Stryker
Wake Forest
Dartmouth-Geisel
Hackensack Meridian
Albany
Einstein
New York Medical
Rochester
Drexel
Jefferson-Kimmel
Penn State
Brown-Alpert
EVMS
VCU
Nova MD