WAMC? (TAMU, maybe more)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busybee363

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am currently applying for the first time, and I would really like some feedback on my chances at A&M (my in state). I am at A&M for my undergrad, and it is realistically the only school I can afford. However, I'm afraid of cutting myself short by only applying to one school and possibly not getting in. I would love any advice you have!

Schools applying to: A&M, maybe more?
Major: Biomedical Sciences/ Entomology double major
Cumulative GPA: 3.845
Last 45 GPA: 3.918
Science GPA: approx. 3.8, maybe higher if research credits count
GRE: Didn't take, since A&M doesn't require it for this cycle
Veterinary Experience: about 800 small animal, 900 exotics
Animal Experience: about 700 equine handling, 200 pet ownership, 300 pet sitting, another 100 or so from random small things
Research: honey bee research (600 hours, lots of posters/presentations, and an undergraduate thesis), study of bacterial transmission in aoudad, drug study in aoudad, and an insect microbiology study (with publication)
Extracurriculars: TAMU band, pre-vet society, veterinarians without borders, phi eta sigma honor society (vice president)
Community Service: disability services peer note taker for a few classes (300 hours), about 50 hours random stuff from my honor society
Honors & Awards: undergraduate research scholar, poster competition for bee research (2nd place)
Other Work Experience: microbiology TA, work at the TAMU vet school in the clinical micro lab (not sure where to put this, since its technically supervised by a vet but it feels weird to put under veterinary experience)

Im mostly worried about my lack of large animal experience. I've worked with some livestock with the exotic vet, but I'm worried that not having worked in a mostly livestock clinic will hurt me. Please let me know how you think I can improve and if I should look into applying to other schools!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! I am currently applying for the first time, and I would really like some feedback on my chances at A&M (my in state). I am at A&M for my undergrad, and it is realistically the only school I can afford. However, I'm afraid of cutting myself short by only applying to one school and possibly not getting in. I would love any advice you have!

Schools applying to: A&M, maybe more?
Major: Biomedical Sciences/ Entomology double major
Cumulative GPA: 3.845
Last 45 GPA: 3.918
Science GPA: approx. 3.8, maybe higher if research credits count
GRE: Didn't take, since A&M doesn't require it for this cycle
Veterinary Experience: about 800 small animal, 900 exotics
Animal Experience: about 700 equine handling, 200 pet ownership, 300 pet sitting, another 100 or so from random small things
Research: honey bee research (600 hours, lots of posters/presentations, and an undergraduate thesis), study of bacterial transmission in aoudad, drug study in aoudad, and an insect microbiology study (with publication)
Extracurriculars: TAMU band, pre-vet society, veterinarians without borders, phi eta sigma honor society (vice president)
Community Service: disability services peer note taker for a few classes (300 hours), about 50 hours random stuff from my honor society
Honors & Awards: undergraduate research scholar, poster competition for bee research (2nd place)
Other Work Experience: microbiology TA, work at the TAMU vet school in the clinical micro lab (not sure where to put this, since its technically supervised by a vet but it feels weird to put under veterinary experience)

Im mostly worried about my lack of large animal experience. I've worked with some livestock with the exotic vet, but I'm worried that not having worked in a mostly livestock clinic will hurt me. Please let me know how you think I can improve and if I should look into applying to other schools!
Honestly, with this being your first round, it is completely fine to put all your eggs in your IS basket. You have a good amount to fill out a nice, well rounded application, so it will come down to selling yourself in essays and presenting your body of work in a way that shows you know what it takes to be in this profession while showing you are a well rounded individual with numerous outside interests. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Your credentials are pretty good and well rounded! Isn't TAMU really large animal focused? What are your goals? If your goal is to become a large animal vet I would say that lack of large animal experience is going to hurt you. If thats not your goal I think you are okay. As for just applying to one school I would go through each school, find which ones you have pre-reqs for, then price each one out. Last cycle I applied to three schools but banked on my IS and didn't get in. Now I'm reapplying to a wider variety of schools that I know I can afford (well not really but which ones are the least expensive OOS). Let me know if this helps