WAMC? Texas IS, URM, just looking for some inspiration that I can make it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremrsDr<3

Reaction score
Date of submission: Planning to apply in 2021 June and do an "Academic Update" after Spring (which ends in July)
Overall GPA: 2.7 after postbacc =3.4
Science GPA: 2.5 after pb = 3.1
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.3 after pb =3.0

(My postbacc GPA has been 4.0 for a few semesters)

DAT score (include AA and all sections): I've learned to be an avid studier. Can we speculate I apply with a 22-24AA?
PAT is fun for me so far.
(I know I can't afford less, would this ballpark give me a shot?)

State of Residence: TX

Major: BS Health Science
Minor: Public Health
Minority?
Yes/ 1st-gen Mexican American, hardship had to leave school to work and killed my gpa
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, mother break for 4 years, and went back to school online during that time for computer science.

Shadowing Experience: general dentist 10hrs, online explorers program 30hrs periodontist, endodontist, pediatric, oral surgeon, gen dentist, public health (covid hrs), just got interviewed for a bilingual clinic to be trained on the job as a DA (planning 400+ hrs)
Volunteering Experience: internship women's clinic 180hrs, mission trip 4,000 plus,
Employment: bilingual receptionist, migrant elementary tutor, sales, waitress/restaurant, comanager of loans store and mobile store
Other Extracurriculars: Latin dance student-instructor, church group committee president & member for 6 years
LOR type and strength: planning to ask PostBacc Professor (Bio 2 or Orgo 1), will ask bilingual clinic dentist, and have other dentists who have assured me I can shadow in a few months
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
My family was very poor growing up, as the eldest child of 7, my parents who were new citizens had no idea the family financial crisis would impact my life so much. My education was the last thing on their minds at the time. I had to get a job just to buy a ticket home and finish paying my dorm. Scared and alone, I got a job and forgot the classes. At least I had some food..
Finally after this happening a 2nd time, I told my parents it was OK they couldn't really help me, so I spoke to my counselors and took loans.

Also, apparently where I am from is listed as an "underserved special interest" location on one of the TX schools. Part of the 10% lowest income areas...

School list:
I'm shooting for every TX dental school,
UMKC,
Augusta,
UNE,
Utah Roseman,
Puerto Rico,

Any other suggestions on...
Schools?
Ways to strengthen my app?
Is it possible already, would a masters make it a reality, or would I need to cure covid before I have a shot ??

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no admissions rep, so this is largely speculation, but I would imagine your background gives you the potential to be a really strong candidate. Your extracurriculars are fantastic, and demonstrate that you have a real drive to support under-served populations. That's what many of the Texas schools are specifically looking for, and TTU explicitly states that they are looking for applicants that come from a strong Hispanic/under-served background. If you approach this next year with diligence, and form your application wisely, I personally believe you stand a decent shot at a TX school. And if you manage to do really well on the DAT, that will help you tremendously in demonstrating that your GPA is not indicative of your academic abilities (but a result of financial hardship).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing about Puerto Rico is that they accept very few out of state applicants. You could add WesternU, they tend to enroll plenty of “non-traditional“ applicants like yourself.

• Love
Yeah you stand a good chance if you can score 20+ in all categories on the DAT. The key for you will be applying smart, and you’ll want to apply broadly to 14-15 schools: TX schools, UMKC, Utah roseman, and une are fine. Then you might consider: AT Stills (because you have extensive community service) and howard and meharry. You might follow these schools by some private schools with large class sizes as safeties: nyu, lecom, nova, usc, midwesterns, bu, tufts, udm, marquette are some of the major ones.

Why Augusta?
Definitely not puerto rico (Very oos unfriendly)

• Love
I'm no admissions rep, so this is largely speculation, but I would imagine your background gives you the potential to be a really strong candidate. Your extracurriculars are fantastic, and demonstrate that you have a real drive to support under-served populations. That's what many of the Texas schools are specifically looking for, and TTU explicitly states that they are looking for applicants that come from a strong Hispanic/under-served background. If you approach this next year with diligence, and form your application wisely, I personally believe you stand a decent shot at a TX school. And if you manage to do really well on the DAT, that will help you tremendously in demonstrating that your GPA is not indicative of your academic abilities (but a result of financial hardship).

Ah thank you, I really do care! I have let my insecurities keep me back for too long, but lately I just have felt a fire in my heart that if I want to give back more.. I have to just make it happen.

I appreciate your insight, thoughts, and advice! If I have a small chance I will keep on going. This is the route that has been in my heart so long

Thanks so much!!

The only thing about Puerto Rico is that they accept very few out of state applicants. You could add WesternU, they tend to enroll plenty of “non-traditional“ applicants like yourself.

I've heard PR was a little picky..
I hadn't looked into Western U though...Thanks so much! I'll put them on my list ❣️

Yeah you stand a good chance if you can score 20+ in all categories on the DAT. The key for you will be applying smart, and you’ll want to apply broadly to 14-15 schools: TX schools, UMKC, Utah roseman, and une are fine. Then you might consider: AT Stills (because you have extensive community service) and howard and meharry. You might follow these schools by some private schools with large class sizes as safeties: nyu, lecom, nova, usc, midwesterns, bu, tufts, udm, marquette are some of the major ones.

Why Augusta?
Definitely not puerto rico (Very oos unfriendly)
Ah! Thank you! I've been wanting to share my true stats for so long, but was worried. Your advice is amazing, I really appreciate the insight!!
Thanks so so much for the suggestions on schools, I'll add these to my list! I've been unsure where to start.

I threw in Augusta because my husband has been going to school getting his master's in GA, and I coincidentally found a Dr to shadow who used to be a professor there, I had wondered to myself if a letter from him would be spectacular enough to get me in there .
But I do think my best chances would be TX and then other schools. GA has such limited spots.