WAMC TX WI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmwfyv96

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a non-trad applicant 7 years out of undergrad. Looking to see if with my stats I can give med school a chance:
  • Undergraduate BS in Biochem, cGPA: 3.7 and sGPA: 3.6
    1. MS in Statistics: 3.8
  • 504 MCAT (taken in 2016, will need to retake but I'm not confident in improving)
  • Resident: 2 years in Wisconsin (masters completed & working here)
    • grew up and went to college in TX. Unsure if I can apply as a Texas resident?
  • Asian, Female
  • Hospital Front Desk & ER volunteering: ~100hr
    • Shadowing family doctor: ~20hr
    • Currently volunteering at the uni hospital for my alma matar
  • Very limited research experience from undergrad
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • Founded a non-profit in undergrad
    • Soup kitchen lead
    • Nursing home volunteer
    • Currently doing monthly volunteering through opportunities in my company, but looking to find a place I can get more hours in regularly
For context, my GPA was on a downward trend since I had severe depression my last year of undergrad. This made me pause on med school apps (especially after getting my MCAT score back), and I eventually ended up teaching ESL overseas until the pandemic hit. I came back to complete a masters in hopes of a career change, and I currently work in health IT. Working in this field made me want to pursue medicine again since I often need to speak with RNs & physicians, and the clinical side of the job is much more interesting to me than the technical parts. Do I still stand a chance?

Members don't see this ad.