Jebrshi
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, just posting here to get some feedback on my chances of getting into USUHS.
I'm currently a Peace Corps Volunteer serving in a remote, rural area of South America. I studied for the MCAT while living here and had to travel back to the U.S. to take the exam. My main concern is my MCAT score. Studying with limited internet access, frequent power outages, and the demands of service made studying difficult, but I still improved on my second attempt despite those obstacles and the need to fly back to the States to test.
My question is: how truly holistic is USUHS? I believe that, aside from my MCAT and even considering it, my application demonstrates a strong commitment to service and the ability to be resilient in austere environments, reflecting dedication to future military service. For example, despite living in a resource-limited setting and balancing my Peace Corps responsibilities, I was able to continue studying and improve my score.
Is my application dead on arrival, or do I have a shot?
cGPA: 3.43 but strong trend upwards: 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 3.7, 3.6, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0
MCAT: 1st: 495 2nd: 499 (126,122,125,126)
Virginia USA
Half German and Half Indian
Senior Military College: 1500 hrs, probably more, of military training, inspections, guard duties, parades (and practice), etc.
Volunteer (Clinical): Campus EMT 700 hrs
Volunteer (Non-Clinical): Peace Corps Volunteer (~4000 hrs/2 year commitment)(Currently), Habitat for Humanity (150 hrs)
Research: Worked with a non-profit to analyze the donor retention issues they were having (via the mathematics department)(180 hrs)
Shadowing: Shadowed a Primary Care Physician (50 hrs), but as a Peace Corps volunteer, I work closely with the health post in my community to conduct health visits and teach hygiene/health sessions.
Extracurriculars/Honors/Awards: Math Department Italy Study Abroad (200 hrs), ROTC obligations (1100 hrs), Military Operations Research Conference (16 hrs), Norwegian Foot March, Expert marksman qualification, Emergency Vehicle Operators Course qualification, and weight lifting(hobby)
Other: Worked as a cadet waiter, and as my final year cadet-in-charge, at the mess hall and during sporting events, would wake up at 05:30 before formation to set up dining stations.
I'm currently a Peace Corps Volunteer serving in a remote, rural area of South America. I studied for the MCAT while living here and had to travel back to the U.S. to take the exam. My main concern is my MCAT score. Studying with limited internet access, frequent power outages, and the demands of service made studying difficult, but I still improved on my second attempt despite those obstacles and the need to fly back to the States to test.
My question is: how truly holistic is USUHS? I believe that, aside from my MCAT and even considering it, my application demonstrates a strong commitment to service and the ability to be resilient in austere environments, reflecting dedication to future military service. For example, despite living in a resource-limited setting and balancing my Peace Corps responsibilities, I was able to continue studying and improve my score.
Is my application dead on arrival, or do I have a shot?
cGPA: 3.43 but strong trend upwards: 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 3.7, 3.6, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0
MCAT: 1st: 495 2nd: 499 (126,122,125,126)
Virginia USA
Half German and Half Indian
Senior Military College: 1500 hrs, probably more, of military training, inspections, guard duties, parades (and practice), etc.
Volunteer (Clinical): Campus EMT 700 hrs
Volunteer (Non-Clinical): Peace Corps Volunteer (~4000 hrs/2 year commitment)(Currently), Habitat for Humanity (150 hrs)
Research: Worked with a non-profit to analyze the donor retention issues they were having (via the mathematics department)(180 hrs)
Shadowing: Shadowed a Primary Care Physician (50 hrs), but as a Peace Corps volunteer, I work closely with the health post in my community to conduct health visits and teach hygiene/health sessions.
Extracurriculars/Honors/Awards: Math Department Italy Study Abroad (200 hrs), ROTC obligations (1100 hrs), Military Operations Research Conference (16 hrs), Norwegian Foot March, Expert marksman qualification, Emergency Vehicle Operators Course qualification, and weight lifting(hobby)
Other: Worked as a cadet waiter, and as my final year cadet-in-charge, at the mess hall and during sporting events, would wake up at 05:30 before formation to set up dining stations.