MD & DO WAMC: Non-trad. 2.85gpa. Service-heavy applicant

Started by tawakkul
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

@Mr.Smile12 Thanks for welcome. Not sure how I went so long not knowing SDN existed. I started postbacc about 1.5yrs ago, 5 semesters, 12 creds each, and full time work. 2 pre-reqs to go. Courses were after PC, it's a major reason for this path. I have received advice/feedback from Peace Corps Volunteers who are now physicians. The feedback has been consistent across PC people and none PC. I have been told that the app is risky grade-wise and I may get screened out at some schools, but if my file gets read holistically, the Peace Corps + public health + clinical experience + upbringing should make the story extremely compelling. The main advice has been to leverage that narrative and apply broadly
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your MCAT of 501 is not competitive for some of the schools on your list. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
U Georgia Athens
Emory
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Xavier Ochsner (when it opens)
Belmont
Methodist
Alice Walton
Wake Forest
Tulane
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Eastern Virginia
Drexel
Albany
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
WCU-COM
ACOM
BCOM (both schools)
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
BU-COM
ARCOM
NYITCOM (both schools)
UIWSOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
 
@Faha Thank you. I’m scheduled for a retake of MCAT soon. What score would make me competitive for some of the schools you crossed off the list? if at all possible. I didn’t not prepare at all the first attempt. This attempt is after 3 months of dedicated prep. FL scores range from 500(FL1)-516(FL5)
 
Last edited:
@Faha Thank you. I’m scheduled for a retake of MCAT soon. What score would make me competitive for some of the schools you crossed off the list? if at all possible. I didn’t not prepare at all the first attempt. This attempt is after 3 months of dedicated prep. FL scores range from 500(FL1)-516(FL5)
With a 512+ MCAT you could add more schools that reward reinvention Post your new score here when available.