WAMC URM Tx Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxMed55

Reaction score
OLD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is hard to say without an MCAT score, but the rest of your application looks good. Once you have an MCAT score, we can help provide a school list. What URM group do you identify with?

For in-person shadowing, you could work with your contacts in internal med with the research you are doing or the hospital you were doing patient transport at. Cold contacting is a possibility as well if your undergrad has a med school associated with it.

Reactions: 1 user
What affinity mentoring groups have you networked with? Have you done your homework networking with Texas schools, especially with diversity officers and student organizations?

Absolutely need to get in-person clinical observation/shadowing too. As was suggested, use your networks that currently exist with your patient transport, or check out where there are free clinics in your county.

Did you get an FAP, and thus additional MCAT resources?

Members don't see this ad :)
I joined LMSA and even picked up a medical student mentor. How would I go about networking with Texas schools ? Is that super important ? I did get all the FAP resources for the MCAT as well as the free application for AMCAS
I am pretty sure there are other LMSA chapters at other medical schools, including within Texas. Ask your mentor if he/she can connect you with a peer at those schools. I find it's important to get insight in navigating the process, and if you get in, you will already know some people who are part of the community who can help you.

I’m Mexican American. Does URM group matter ? Yeah sadly my undergrad has a small med school for the size of the amount of students and it’s fairly new in a huge Texas city so teaching doctors has been tough.
You will likely stay in Texas for med school due to the tuition but there would be certain OOS schools that depend on the group (like the HBCU’s including UCLA Drew).

Oh okay. If I get a good mcat score would u think it's a good idea to shoot my shot at top med schools OOS (private) ? I only like a few medical schools in texas due to the location.
Yes, the top med schools know they can possibly convince students to turn down in-state tuition. Tulane also tends to accept TX residents.

Updated can anyone help
Im a currently junior at UT Austin and looking to apply this cycle

Stats:

Major: Double major in business and Nutrition

URM-low income

cGPA: 3.78 but trying to break 3.8 this semester but may drop a bit

sGPA: 3.62 should increase with my bio lab

Extra curricular:
Paid Clinical - 700 hrs of clinical (Patient Transport: had to make sure their fluids were good as well as oxygen if needed)
  1. Volunteering- 480 hours rn at a food bank and at various locations with by business frat
  2. Volunteering -Played games with children at hospital - 100 hours
  3. Other jobs - 2000 hrs for an electrical company as an invoicing clerk
  4. Shadowing - 70 hours of shadowing
    1. Pediatric surgeon 10 hours
    2. Pediatric surgeon 30 hours
    3. neurologist -30 hours
  5. Project sunshine-Org
  6. Delta Sigma Pi
  7. Research - 700 hours rn both in a psych. Yet I don’t have any pubs. Gonna add another 250 is semester in a biodiversity lab (spring sem)
  8. Awards- dean list
  9. LMSA Member
  10. Internship- This summer but still looking
  11. Tennis Club
What can I improve on my app ? Do I have a realistic shot at a top med school ?

Without a MCAT score there isn’t anyone that can predict anything for you. When you get your score come back to this post and post it.
Good luck on the test.

Use this grid so you get good advice based on what the schools will see.

Reactions: 1 user
Without a MCAT score there isn’t anyone that can predict anything for you. When you get your score come back to this post and post it.
Good luck on the test.

Use this grid so you get good advice based on what the schools will see.

are my EC and gpa good though ?

Your ECs are okay. Try to get a few hours with a primary care doc. The average GPAfor admitted students is around 3.7x so you are around average in that regard. Much will depend on your MCAT. Being URM will help. But you really should be working towards getting accepted to any med school, not just top schools.