WAMC - Very Late Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lateapplicant12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got my July MCAT score back and am inclined to rush in a last minute application, but am willing to be talked out of it.

My MCAT score is 523, and my GPA is 3.9+.
I am a math major with AP credits in chemistry, physics, and biology appearing on my undergraduate transcript.

Since I do not meet most school's prerequisite requirements, I will be applying to schools without requirements which happen to be some of the more competitive schools. I am currently targeting:
Stanford, UCLA, UCSD, USC, Duke, Chicago, NYU, Vanderbilt, Penn.

Since I have not yet submitted my primary application, It will likely take me right up until October 1 for AMCAS to review my submission and forward to the schools. This would have me receiving and submitting my secondary applications in October. Due to some circumstances in my personal life, I do not believe I will be able to measurably improve my application in the next 10-12 months or show progress toward improving as a reapplicant.

Given this last minute timeline and the competitiveness of the schools, what are my chances of receiving interviews or acceptances this late in the cycle? How much would I improve my chances by waiting to apply earlier next year? If I apply this year without success and choose to reapply next year, how much more difficult will it be to be accepted as a reapplicant?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Hope everyone is doing well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your ECs ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact ?

What are your ECs ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact ?
I have very strong ECs and leadership experience. I have 30 shadowing hours and two overseas volunteering experiences with patient contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would be better off to apply next June. Accumulate another 100+ hours of clinical volunteering in the USA. Also take the necessary prerequisites in the coming year that are required by the schools where you currently cannot apply to. Your options would then be much broader.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the MCAT score. Wanted to share that long ago I applied as a late applicant with a 527 + 3.81 cGPA + 3.89 sGPA. It did not go so well. 2 years later I'm applying again. But I also got late this time around because I didn't prewrite the secondaries for the additional schools I added to my list. Some people never learn 🙃

I have very strong ECs and leadership experience. I have 30 shadowing hours and two overseas volunteering experiences with patient contact.
Make sure those patient contacts are ok in the US. After all, it is not ok to do something in a different country that you wouldn’t be allowed to do here due to your credentials and experience.

Reactions: 1 user