WAMC/What do you think of my school list?

SliceNDice

7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
  1. Pre-Medical
    This is kinda just a preliminary list I have put together based mainly on stats and location. Please let me know what you think and whether there's any schools that really don't belong, and if there's any other schools not listed that you think I should really add. I know there's more schools on this list than I'll actually want to apply to, but this is kinda a starting point. Thanks!

From Northern CA, graduated from UCSB w/ BS in Biopsychology

cGPA 3.74 sGPA 3.64 (this is including biological major classes, not behavioral classes, w/o major classes sGPA is 3.54). I had a very strong upward grade trend with 3.5ish freshman year and 3.8ish the rest of the time through college.

MCAT: 513-128/127/127/131

Research: About 200 hrs as research assistant in behavioral endocrinology lab

Clinical shadowing: 72 hours of interning at dermatology practice, 19 hours of shadowing orthopedic surgeon in clinic and 7 hrs in OR. 400 hours of clinical and surgical shadowing in a variety of hospitals and clinics in Northern India

Volunteering: My weakest area. I'm currently trying to get involved with a local non-profit that takes schoolchildren out on after-school outdoors trips. Also, the college outdoor club that I am part of does a good amount of volunteer work, including trail maintenance, beach cleanup, and putting on community events.

Extracurriculars: Volunteer trip leader for outdoor club at college including being on board of directors (4 years of involvement). Was a student with NOLS (national outdoor leadership school) in northern india, rural homestay, learning whitewater rafting guiding skills, 42 days backpacking in himalayas.

Employment: Camp counselor for two summers, outdoor adventure/ocean kayak guide, scribe/MA at primary care practice (so far 1100 hrs, lots of patient interaction such as taking vitals, giving shots, running EKGs, ear lavages, etc)

Very Interested in Applying (or have good shot at)

USC Keck

UC Davis

UC Irvine

UCLA

UC Riverside

U of Arizona

U of Arizona-Pheonix

U of Colorado

Florida Atlantic U

U of Miami

Loyola

Tulane

Tufts

NY Medical College

Drexel

Temple

Thomas Jefferson U

U of Utah

U of Vermont

George Washington U

Georgetown

Less interested in applying (or I am interested but don't have a great shot)

Cal Northstate

UCSD

UCSF

U of Conn

Florida International U

Emory

Rosalind Franklin

U of Illinois

Indiana U

Dartmouth

Rutgers (Newark)

Rutgers (Piscataway)

Albany Medical College

UNC Chapel Hill

U of North Dakota

Ohio State

Penn State

Brown

U of South Carolina-Columbia

Virginia Tech

Medical College of Wisconsin

U of Wisconsin

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
    Sep 15, 2012
    1. Attending Physician
      Schools such as U Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, North Dakota, Rutgers, UNC, U Conn, Utah accept very few non residents with no connections to the state and your stats. You could add these schools:
      Quinnipiac
      Oakland Beaumont
      Western Michigan
      NOVA MD
      any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        The clinical work in India will be viewed as medical tourism. You need to see what Medicine is like in the US.

Here is a more realistic list (once you get in some patient contact experience here)
        Duke
        U VM
        Pitt
        Mayo
        Miami
        St. Louis
        Albany
        Albert Einstein
        Rochester
        Rush
        Rosy Franklin
        BU
        MCW
        Hofstra
        NYMC
        VCU
        EVMS
        Wake Forest
        Jefferson
        Temple
        Drexel
        Creighton
        George Washington
        Georgetown
        Emory
        USC/Keck
        Tulane
        Dartmouth
        Loyola
        Netter
        Oakland-B
        UCI
        UCD
        UCLA
        Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

About the Ads

SliceNDice

7+ Year Member
        Jun 27, 2013
        1. Pre-Medical
          The clinical work in India will be viewed as medical tourism. You need to see what Medicine is like in the US.

Here is a more realistic list (once you get in some patient contact experience here)
          Duke
          U VM
          Pitt
          Mayo
          Miami
          St. Louis
          Albany
          Albert Einstein
          Rochester
          Rush
          Rosy Franklin
          BU
          MCW
          Hofstra
          NYMC
          VCU
          EVMS
          Wake Forest
          Jefferson
          Temple
          Drexel
          Creighton
          George Washington
          Georgetown
          Emory
          USC/Keck
          Tulane
          Dartmouth
          Loyola
          Netter
          Oakland-B
          UCI
          UCD
          UCLA
          Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

I work full time as a medical assistant and scribe...I get patient contact 8 hours a day five days a week

Goro

Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Jun 11, 2010
          1. Non-Student
            I work full time as a medical assistant and scribe...I get patient contact 8 hours a day five days a week
            You're golden on that score then! Now you need to get in some display of your altruism...service to other less fortunate than yourself

SliceNDice

7+ Year Member
            Jun 27, 2013
            1. Pre-Medical
              You're golden on that score then! Now you need to get in some display of your altruism...service to other less fortunate than yourself

Yea that's for sure my biggest weak spot. I'm working on getting community service in, what would you say is the minimum number of hours I should shoot for?

I'm a bit confused by the list you just made for me. There's a lot of schools on there that seem out of my league (Duke, Pitt, Mayo, Einstein, etc.). Why do you think these should be included?

Goro

Lifetime Donor
              10+ Year Member
              Verified Expert
              Jun 11, 2010
              1. Non-Student
                Yea that's for sure my biggest weak spot. I'm working on getting community service in, what would you say is the minimum number of hours I should shoot for?

I'm a bit confused by the list you just made for me. There's a lot of schools on there that seem out of my league (Duke, Pitt, Mayo, Einstein, etc.). Why do you think these should be included?
                150. 300 would put you up at the top of applicants in terms of hours.

The MCAT score and GPAs are > 10th %iles for these schools. Hence, you're in striking distance. If you wish to hedge your best, try 1-2 of those schools.

SliceNDice

7+ Year Member
                Jun 27, 2013
                1. Pre-Medical
                  150. 300 would put you up at the top of applicants in terms of hours.

The MCAT score and GPAs are > 10th %iles for these schools. Hence, you're in striking distance. If you wish to hedge your best, try 1-2 of those schools.

Is 10th percentile usually your recommended threshold? I was thinking it should be 25th, but again, idk ****

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.