WAMC/What do you think of my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SliceNDice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is kinda just a preliminary list I have put together based mainly on stats and location. Please let me know what you think and whether there's any schools that really don't belong, and if there's any other schools not listed that you think I should really add. I know there's more schools on this list than I'll actually want to apply to, but this is kinda a starting point. Thanks!

From Northern CA, graduated from UCSB w/ BS in Biopsychology

cGPA 3.74 sGPA 3.64 (this is including biological major classes, not behavioral classes, w/o major classes sGPA is 3.54). I had a very strong upward grade trend with 3.5ish freshman year and 3.8ish the rest of the time through college.

MCAT: 513-128/127/127/131

Research: About 200 hrs as research assistant in behavioral endocrinology lab

Clinical shadowing: 72 hours of interning at dermatology practice, 19 hours of shadowing orthopedic surgeon in clinic and 7 hrs in OR. 400 hours of clinical and surgical shadowing in a variety of hospitals and clinics in Northern India

Volunteering: My weakest area. I'm currently trying to get involved with a local non-profit that takes schoolchildren out on after-school outdoors trips. Also, the college outdoor club that I am part of does a good amount of volunteer work, including trail maintenance, beach cleanup, and putting on community events.

Extracurriculars: Volunteer trip leader for outdoor club at college including being on board of directors (4 years of involvement). Was a student with NOLS (national outdoor leadership school) in northern india, rural homestay, learning whitewater rafting guiding skills, 42 days backpacking in himalayas.

Employment: Camp counselor for two summers, outdoor adventure/ocean kayak guide, scribe/MA at primary care practice (so far 1100 hrs, lots of patient interaction such as taking vitals, giving shots, running EKGs, ear lavages, etc)

Very Interested in Applying (or have good shot at)

USC Keck

UC Davis

UC Irvine

UCLA

UC Riverside

U of Arizona

U of Arizona-Pheonix

U of Colorado

Florida Atlantic U

U of Miami

Loyola

Tulane

Tufts

NY Medical College

Drexel

Temple

Thomas Jefferson U

U of Utah

U of Vermont

George Washington U

Georgetown

Less interested in applying (or I am interested but don't have a great shot)

Cal Northstate

UCSD

UCSF

U of Conn

Florida International U

Emory

Rosalind Franklin

U of Illinois

Indiana U

Dartmouth

Rutgers (Newark)

Rutgers (Piscataway)

Albany Medical College

UNC Chapel Hill

U of North Dakota

Ohio State

Penn State

Brown

U of South Carolina-Columbia

Virginia Tech

Medical College of Wisconsin

U of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Schools such as U Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, North Dakota, Rutgers, UNC, U Conn, Utah accept very few non residents with no connections to the state and your stats. You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
NOVA MD
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)

The clinical work in India will be viewed as medical tourism. You need to see what Medicine is like in the US.

Here is a more realistic list (once you get in some patient contact experience here)
Duke
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
UCI
UCD
UCLA
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Members don't see this ad :)
The clinical work in India will be viewed as medical tourism. You need to see what Medicine is like in the US.

Here is a more realistic list (once you get in some patient contact experience here)
Duke
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
UCI
UCD
UCLA
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

I work full time as a medical assistant and scribe...I get patient contact 8 hours a day five days a week

You're golden on that score then! Now you need to get in some display of your altruism...service to other less fortunate than yourself

Yea that's for sure my biggest weak spot. I'm working on getting community service in, what would you say is the minimum number of hours I should shoot for?

I'm a bit confused by the list you just made for me. There's a lot of schools on there that seem out of my league (Duke, Pitt, Mayo, Einstein, etc.). Why do you think these should be included?

Yea that's for sure my biggest weak spot. I'm working on getting community service in, what would you say is the minimum number of hours I should shoot for?

I'm a bit confused by the list you just made for me. There's a lot of schools on there that seem out of my league (Duke, Pitt, Mayo, Einstein, etc.). Why do you think these should be included?
150. 300 would put you up at the top of applicants in terms of hours.

The MCAT score and GPAs are > 10th %iles for these schools. Hence, you're in striking distance. If you wish to hedge your best, try 1-2 of those schools.

150. 300 would put you up at the top of applicants in terms of hours.

The MCAT score and GPAs are > 10th %iles for these schools. Hence, you're in striking distance. If you wish to hedge your best, try 1-2 of those schools.

Is 10th percentile usually your recommended threshold? I was thinking it should be 25th, but again, idk ****