WAMC- What else should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

es11722

Reaction score
Hello all!

I decided to make a WAMC thread because 1) I will always think I didn't do good enough no matter what (bad character trait I know) and 2) was stressing and couldn't sleep so I figured I should put my thoughts to use. MY MAIN GOAL FOR THIS THREAD is to hear from you guys about what I should do from January 2021 until June 2021 when I submit my application.

My concerns about my application are that:
1) No research ... was given the opportunity by the professor who will be writing my rec letter but COVID happened and they stopped accepting new people.
2) I started all EC's, volunteering, etc. late in my undergraduate career. I began undergrad in 2016 and didn't begin EC's until January 1st, 2018.
3) I have not taken anatomy but I have taken Human Physiology and Comparative Physiology... Will this lessen my chances at schools that require anatomy or should I just take the course this upcoming semester?

Date of Submission: Have not applied to dental schools yet. Will apply June of 2021.
Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.64
Biology GPA: 3.8 Chem GPA: 3.45 Physics GPA: 3.7
DAT Score: 21 AA, 19 PAT, 21 TS, 22 Bio, 21 Orgo, 18 Gen chem :(, 25 reading, 19 math
State: Michigan

Undergrad attended: Wayne State University
Major: Bachelor of Arts in Biological Sciences
Minor: None
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Non-trad? No

Shadowing experience: 250 hours with one general dentist, 55 hours with another general dentist
Volunteering: Dental Mission Trip in Romania with the dentist I shadowed where I served as his assistant (168 hours), Volunteer at local after-school tutoring center as a tutor (75 hours), handed out dental supplies at local outreach in impoverished community / helped coordinate an event for elementary students to get oral procedures done at Ford Field as part of my dental club, volunteer dental assistant at local dental clinic (WILL DO THIS STARTING JANUARY UNTIL I APPLY)
Employment: Began working as a dental assistant this September (will continue until I begin dental school)(150 hours), worked at family liquor store this past Summer to build my communication and business skills (200 hours)
Research: Nothing. In all fairness, I would rather volunteer than do research but I am still disappointed that this spot isn't filled.
Other Extracurriculars: Peer Mentor for Biology 1510 (paid tutoring service through WSU)(112 hours), Peer Mentor for Spanish 1020 (paid tutoring service through WSU)(88 hours), Spanish Coffee Club (helped students practice Spanish grammar and speaking while enjoying Spanish culture such as cuisine/sweets, film, music, etc.), Vice President of Diverse Dental Society at WSU (was social media board member for a term and then became the VP), Chaldean American Student Association member, ClubMed Virtual member (help guide underclassmen throughout their undergraduate career to ensure that they are on the right track to succeed and be good applicants for their respected fields--- won member of the month this November)
Honors/Awards: Made the Deans list for seven semesters (3.5 GPA and up), received an advanced peer mentor certification that placed me at a higher tier.
LOR: Two from both dentists I shadowed, one from chemistry prof who I took two courses with and have known for three years now, one from biochem prof who I took two classes with (received A's in both) and whom I could've researched with, one from Spanish professor whom I took two classes with and tutored for and one from volunteer coordinator at the local after-school tutoring center.

School List:

Detroit Mercy (dream school)
University of Michigan
Case Western
Midwestern Illinois
NYU
Indiana
Iowa
Ohio State University
University of Washington
Louisville
Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I decided to make a WAMC thread because 1) I will always think I didn't do good enough no matter what (bad character trait I know) and 2) was stressing and couldn't sleep so I figured I should put my thoughts to use. MY MAIN GOAL FOR THIS THREAD is to hear from you guys about what I should do from January 2021 until June 2021 when I submit my application.

My concerns about my application are that:
1) No research ... was given the opportunity by the professor who will be writing my rec letter but COVID happened and they stopped accepting new people.
2) I started all EC's, volunteering, etc. late in my undergraduate career. I began undergrad in 2016 and didn't begin EC's until January 1st, 2018.
3) I have not taken anatomy but I have taken Human Physiology and Comparative Physiology... Will this lessen my chances at schools that require anatomy or should I just take the course this upcoming semester?

Date of Submission: Have not applied to dental schools yet. Will apply June of 2021.
Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.64
Biology GPA: 3.8 Chem GPA: 3.45 Physics GPA: 3.7
DAT Score: 21 AA, 19 PAT, 21 TS, 22 Bio, 21 Orgo, 18 Gen chem :(, 25 reading, 19 math
State: Michigan

Undergrad attended: Wayne State University
Major: Bachelor of Arts in Biological Sciences
Minor: None
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Non-trad? No

Shadowing experience: 250 hours with one general dentist, 55 hours with another general dentist
Volunteering: Dental Mission Trip in Romania with the dentist I shadowed where I served as his assistant (168 hours), Volunteer at local after-school tutoring center as a tutor (75 hours), handed out dental supplies at local outreach in impoverished community / helped coordinate an event for elementary students to get oral procedures done at Ford Field as part of my dental club, volunteer dental assistant at local dental clinic (WILL DO THIS STARTING JANUARY UNTIL I APPLY)
Employment: Began working as a dental assistant this September (will continue until I begin dental school)(150 hours), worked at family liquor store this past Summer to build my communication and business skills (200 hours)
Research: Nothing. In all fairness, I would rather volunteer than do research but I am still disappointed that this spot isn't filled.
Other Extracurriculars: Peer Mentor for Biology 1510 (paid tutoring service through WSU)(112 hours), Peer Mentor for Spanish 1020 (paid tutoring service through WSU)(88 hours), Spanish Coffee Club (helped students practice Spanish grammar and speaking while enjoying Spanish culture such as cuisine/sweets, film, music, etc.), Vice President of Diverse Dental Society at WSU (was social media board member for a term and then became the VP), Chaldean American Student Association member, ClubMed Virtual member (help guide underclassmen throughout their undergraduate career to ensure that they are on the right track to succeed and be good applicants for their respected fields--- won member of the month this November)
Honors/Awards: Made the Deans list for seven semesters (3.5 GPA and up), received an advanced peer mentor certification that placed me at a higher tier.
LOR: Two from both dentists I shadowed, one from chemistry prof who I took two courses with and have known for three years now, one from biochem prof who I took two classes with (received A's in both) and whom I could've researched with, one from Spanish professor whom I took two classes with and tutored for and one from volunteer coordinator at the local after-school tutoring center.

School List:

Detroit Mercy (dream school)
University of Michigan
Case Western
Midwestern Illinois
NYU
Indiana
Iowa
Ohio State University
University of Washington
Louisville
Arizona
university of arizona doesn't have a dental school
your dream school should be UMich
remove NYU, consider stony brook/buffalo

not having research will not be an issue
neither is starting ECs later
relax and trust the process

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Couple of things -
1) Not having research is fine
2) Starting late is fine, you've still done it for 3 years now, which shows commitment
3) If a school requires anatomy, they require it. There's really no other way to go about it so if a school you're applying to requires it, I'd suggest taking it...
4) BCP GPA is all of your bio/chem/phy classes, it's not separate GPAs.
5) School list looks decent, just decide which AZ school you want to apply to
6) Really nothing much you can do from Jan-June that you haven't already done, just keep shadowing/volunteering/working.

Good luck!

Couple of things -
1) Not having research is fine
2) Starting late is fine, you've still done it for 3 years now, which shows commitment
3) If a school requires anatomy, they require it. There's really no other way to go about it so if a school you're applying to requires it, I'd suggest taking it...
4) BCP GPA is all of your bio/chem/phy classes, it's not separate GPAs.
5) School list looks decent, just decide which AZ school you want to apply to
6) Really nothing much you can do from Jan-June that you haven't already done, just keep shadowing/volunteering/working.

Good luck!
Yes, I included my individual GPA's for Bio, Physics and Chem and then added my science GPA which includes the average of all three of those GPA's. I plan on volunteering once a week at a local dental clinic, working as a dental assistant and taking Anatomy just to keep my options open. I might find another volunteering opportunity or continue with what I am currently doing. Thank you so much for your advice!

Yes, I included my individual GPA's for Bio, Physics and Chem and then added my science GPA which includes the average of all three of those GPA's.
Just for future reference, BCP GPA is one number and it's a GPA for all your Biology, Chemistry, and Physics classes. Your science GPA does include all of those categories yes, but other classes like Math (!), Botany, Engineering, Psychology, etc. are also included. So that's why schools look at your overall GPA, your science GPA, and your BCP GPA. Hope that makes things clear because they are different and even though you were a Bio major, I'm sure you took some classes that were required for your major that may count in your science GPA but not in your BCP GPA. The categories here describing what counts in BCP and what counts in Science might help too: ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects :)

Do you know any WSU former classmates who go to dental school at UDM or UM? I suggest reaching out to them in the next few months.
Yes! A few friends that attend UDM currently. I'm actually FaceTiming one of them after their final this morning! Thanks for the advice sir.

Reactions: 1 user