WAMC/What should I prioritize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pico25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad: UC Santa Cruz 2015 grad
Degree: Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology
State of residence: CA
Demographic: White/Jewish Male
Cumulative GPA: 3.5 (3.5/3.3/3.7/3.6)
BCMP GPA: 3.46
MCAT: 522 (130/129/132/131)
Volunteering: 88 hours so far at county COVID-19 testing site, still volunteering to get this higher. I have some volunteering I did years ago but not sure if it's still relevant.
Research: Worked full time 4 years in biotech startups mainly as a senior research associate, 3 years developing therapy for ultra-orphan metabolic disorders, 1 year developing non-invasive prenatal testing. 6th author on an NIPT paper, 5th author on a chemistry paper (non-medical). Helped setup a clinical lab, managed a clinical trial of said test, trained clinical CLSs.
Shadowing: None yet
Teaching: did substitute teaching for a couple months, included working as a para-aid with students with disabilities, currently working part time as a tutor, some students have learning disabilities.
Lots of hobbies but doubt they're relevant

My major covered most schools prereqs but I only took 1 physics lab which may disqualify me from some schools and I'm not sure if I should try to do that.

My current plan is to get another job in biotech (currently unemployed), boost my volunteer hours at the COVID-19 site, try to get some shadowing (I'm worried this will be exceptionally hard given COVID-19).

Anything else I should be doing or focusing on? How am I looking overall? I'm hoping my MCAT can make up for my GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need shadowing, more clinical experiences and do you have any nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community? You seem to have pieces of this and pieces of that but nothing that you seem passionate about. Well maybe the research but you probably won’t be applying to research powerhouses..( I’m basing that on your GPAs and I’m probably wrong). What are you doing at the Covid testing center? Testing, running tests? Are the people sick?
Congrats on your MCAT. Nice job. Not sure it will make up for your GPAs but they aren’t bad anyway! The problem is nothing on your application stands out, nothing that makes you exceptional!.
Good luck as you move forward!

Reactions: 1 user
You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) before you apply. Also 200+ hours of clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact. I suggest these schools with your stats and if you obtain the shadowing and clinical exposure hours:
Tufts
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
George Washington
U Virginia
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Emory
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Iowa
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
The UC's
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University

Members don't see this ad :)
You need more volunteering and shadowing. How do you know that you want to be a physician?

Reactions: 1 users
You definitely need shadowing, more clinical experiences and do you have any nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community? You seem to have pieces of this and pieces of that but nothing that you seem passionate about. Well maybe the research but you probably won’t be applying to research powerhouses..( I’m basing that on your GPAs and I’m probably wrong). What are you doing at the Covid testing center? Testing, running tests? Are the people sick?

Understood, I did volunteer at a woman's shelter serving food LA but that was >4years ago now. I am applying to some other volunteer orgs, mainly related to mental health/homelessness. I figured my research/employment would probably be my main differentiating feature. My plan is to apply to schools I have a chance of getting into so if my GPA disqualifies some research powerhouses, I'm not sure I can do much about that short of a post bacc which I would like to avoid if possible.

At the testing center I mainly distribute paperwork, sanitize and clipboards, give out hand sanitizer, and direct patients to/from the stations. Only nurses are allowed to verify their medical information and swab noses.

You need more volunteering and shadowing. How do you know that you want to be a physician?

Got it. A combination of factors, I've always been fascinated by biology, genetics, pharmacology, medicine is the intersection of those interests. I had two separate health problems where I was first misdiagnosed then eventually had a doctor that realized what was actually wrong and finally got effective treatment. Those experiences really showed me how the difference between two different doctors/diagnoses can have such a big impact on someone's life and made me want to spend my energies solving those kinds of problems that have an immediate impact rather than the day to day problems of research which feel so much more detached.

Maybe that's not as compelling an answer as someone who had a more intense/catastrophic healthcare experience.

Your research/employment history is pretty common for a medical school applicant; it's not a standout factor. Try to do more shadowing, especially in primary care. Keep volunteering. Most schools like to see a student who has a commitment to service to the community.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Understood, I did volunteer at a woman's shelter serving food LA but that was >4years ago now.

Did you do that volunteering after you turned 18 or graduated high school? If you did, that definitely counts.

As you are now, you have no shadowing, no nonclinical volunteering, and very little clinical experience. Unless you have 100+ nonclinical hours, I'd recommend a gap year...you are shooting yourself in the foot by applying with less than 150 hours each of clinical and nonclinical volunteering. The MCAT is good and the GPA...it's low, but you have a bit of an upward trend.

This time next year, you could be quite a strong applicant.

Reactions: 1 user