MD WAMC / What to do Next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungboipremed

Reaction score
cGPA of ~3.6 and sGPA of ~3.5. Senior double major in psych and bio at a big public research school. 507 MCAT. ~500 hours nonclinical volunteering. ~3000 hours scribing. ~400 research hours with one solo poster presentation. ~100 hours being a TA in a bio lab. Really only applying to IU this cycle and I'm IS. I have an II and saw their post II acceptance is ~75%, but I think I have lower stats than most people who receive IIs. My GPA is at ~10th percentile of their accepted and my MCAT is at ~25th percentile of their accepted students, so I'm thinking its closer to a 50/50 chance for me. I was wondering if it would be worth it to invest a few hundred dollars to retake the MCAT this winter break. I could get accepted this cycle even around that time, but if I don't get accepted this cycle, my application for next cycle will not have changed much from this cycle, so I think I could be stuck taking 2 gap years instead of 1. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you only apply to one school? When will IU let you know?
I did not think I would be competitive to a lot of schools, so I just applied to IU because it was in state to see what the process was like and maybe have a small chance to get in. I still don't even know when my interview will be, so I'm not sure when I'll know. I'm expecting that the earliest I would get a decision would be late December to January, so if I did study for the MCAT this winter break, I would obviously be pretty deep into the studying at that point.