WAMC with middle of the line stats but non-trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted703118

State/country of residence: MA but significant ties to Ohio

Ties to other states/regions: Ohio, New York and New Jersey

URM: nope

Year in school: second gap year

Undergraduate major: biomedical engineering

Graduate degree: MS biomedical engineering

Cumulative GPA: 3.67 + 4.0 grad gpa

Science GPA: 3.78

MCAT: 515
Research: I have a masters research thesis that I defended, 4.5 years of academic research and ~1 year of industry research at a biotech startup

Publications: 4 pubs all middle author with my thesis as a published first author paper

Clinical: EMT (~1000 hrs so far with 2400 by the end of the year), Medical reserve Corp volunteer mostly as a covid vaccinator (~200 hrs). Health screening volunteer (~100 hrs)

Physician shadowing: 242 hours split over e-shadowing and several doctors and specialties. I have one letter coming from a doctor who I also vaccinated for.

Non-clinical volunteering: Ronald McDonald family room (625 hrs in college), homeless shelter (~200 hrs by end of year), founder of non-profit for homeless (~100 hrs), food pantry volunteer (~100 hrs) and I volunteered at my temple (~120 hrs)

Other extracurriculars: president and treasurer of a public health club at school, Resident assistant, teaching assistant, member of a sorority

Employment: I work for a biotech startup right now in addition to my EMT job.

No immediate family in medicine.

Specialties of interest: Emergency medicine(?) I’m mostly open right now.

Medical school list: anywhere in Boston (not Harvard tho) or case western. Lerner college of medicine is my dream school. I love the combination of research and the ability to learn in the one of the most diverse cities in the US

I’m nervous about the genuine nature of my app because a lot of my service I discovered during my gap year and I found a real passion for it, especially for the homeless. I don’t want it to seem like I’m just doing stuff for an app. My college life was really overwhelmed by research, so when I got out of college I had more time to explore and experience other things. Any suggestions on how to share my story also welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying next cycle. Just need some school suggestions to see if I’m ready.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying next cycle. Just need some school suggestions to see if I’m ready.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Dartmouth
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Carle Illinois
Hofstra
Einstein
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Jefferson
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
U Michigan

I think you're chances are good but I would want a little more on whether you have connected with Lerner/CWRU. I think a little more insight on what appeals to you and how this program will help you with your career in medicine.

Carle at U of I in Champaign-Urbana may be right up your alley as an engineer type. That’s what they are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.