WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteo11127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
New to this forum, Im an MS3 at a DO school in the northeast with a low COMLEX I <450. No USMLE. No research or publications. I was wondering what my chances were for a Neuro program as I am ver interested. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you don't have failures just get a strong letter of ref from preferably and academic neurologist via an audition rotation, good other LORs good personal statement and show genuine enthusiasm on the interview trail you'll be fine. Neuro isn't very competitive. I know a guy kind of like you but did do well on comlex 2, literally never even did a neuro rotation or have any LORs from neuro interview at places like Cleveland clinic, mayo. He ended up matching into anesthesia he was applying to neurology as back up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

hey guys
New to this forum, Im an MS3 at a DO school in the northeast with a low COMLEX I <450. No USMLE. No research or publications. I was wondering what my chances were for a Neuro program as I am ver interested. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Okay, so I'm jumping in here late and rarely check these forums anymore. First off, the submit to just applying to an osteopathic neurology program is bad advice. In my day, osteopathic programs were actually competitive. This was NOT because they were world renowned programs but rather because there were only a handful of programs available. Considering the fact that the number of osteopathic schools, hence graduates, has tripled since I graduated, and there are probably new schools breaking ground all of the time, with very few additional osteopathic neurology programs, well-----
Do the math!

Ok, so you did not smoke the COMLEX I, but please pass the COMLEX II and do neurology rotations at programs which you may be potentially applying
In the Northeast and Midwest, you will not be a mark because you are a DO. Out West? Yes, you will be, sorry, just the truth. That is not to say that it is impossible to score a residency in the state of say WA, just less likely, even if you have a perfect COMLEX score.

Now, onto other things. If you have passing COMLEX scores and apply to programs familiar with DOs, you will not have any problems. I say this all of the time on these forums, just because Mayo and Johns Hopkins are not going to rank you first on their list does not mean that you should give up.